Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1608 V12 Tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
I have found 2 types of 8.25 x 16 tires to fit my 1608, Lester and BF Goodrich. It needs new shoes before it goes away.

Comparisons are as follows, Lester first

Ply 6 vs 8
WW width 5 3/8" vs 4 5/8"
Load/press 1750@34psi vs 2030@46psi
Tread width 6.5" vs 6"
O/A diameter 32" vs 32.43"

My concerns are what difference in ride/handling will I have between the two and any other observations?

Posted on: 2022/9/14 14:10
 Top  Print 

Re: 1608 V12 Tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I've heard from those driving late '30s Cad V-16s and Packard Twelves happy with Michelin (may've bowed out), Bridgestone, Yokohama 7.50 x 16 bias sized LT radials, so you get the best of both worlds; vintage look, if not 8.25, and crisper handling.

Since these are light truck radials, they'll take higher pressure, but those of us running Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama 7.00 x 15 LT radials on 1941-on Century, Roadmaster, Cad 62/60S, Chrysler and Hudson 8s, Packards reason 40 psi in radials with their much more flexible sidewalls no harder on wheels and i.f.s. parts than bias plies at 30 psi.

Have heard nothing to the contrary from those running the above, including long tours, only contentment.

But if you somehow have to have 8.25, you're stuck with Lesters and the usual bias plies people in third world countries wouldn't buy.

If you must have whitewalls, which most educated professionals first owning cars like yours thought gauche, tacky, Diamond Back in South Carolina will vulcanize same for a price. However, we've seen pictures of big city (Chicago, Manhattan) Packard showrooms with cars like yours --even open models at that -- parked on Persian carpets surrounded by potted palms shod in black sneakers and with only the base bale ornament, and never fog or driving lights, typically among the bolt on Esso terica dealers offered to increase profit margin.

Posted on: 2022/9/14 17:37
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved