Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Painting Bumpers
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
I will soon attempt to have paint adhere to the newly chromed bumpers on my '37 120. I would really appreciate any suggestions as how best to prep the surface, and primer and paint to use. Thanks

Posted on: 2022/11/12 11:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Painting Bumpers
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I didn't do anything fancy - wipe the area with a mild solvent like isopropanol or acetone. Use an oil-based enamel. Has held up fine.

Posted on: 2022/11/12 14:18
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Also be sure to use a low adhesion masking tape. The first time I did my bumpers the masking tape I was using pulled the paint off in areas in a saw tooth look. The second time I painted I used a masking tape called "frogtape" which if I remember I purchased at Sherwin Williams. Removed it right after painting and then had a nice sharp line.

Posted on: 2022/11/12 19:59
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Icarus
See User information
Sand the spots you're painting with a very light grit sandpaper. Marine coatings tend to require 220 grit for proper adhesion (and no sanding mark print-through!), so with automotive coatings I'd go with 400 grit or maybe higher. Mask off immediately around where you're painting; the masking tape will protect the part and keep the grit from harming the finish, so long as you aren't a gorilla about it.

Posted on: 2022/11/12 20:32
-1948 Packard Super Deluxe Eight LWB
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Bob Villa did a writeup on painting chrome plated house fixtures that might be worth reading

Posted on: 2022/11/13 18:00
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Thanks for sharing your experience. I assume that the bumper inlay and guards on the '37 120C 4 dr. convertibles that came from the factory were painted black/red, I was surprised to see photos of some '37 120C's that were not painted. Were they painted a gloss black, etc. or satin?

I know from previous experience that it is difficult to get paint to stick to a chrome surface. The process I plan to follow is:
1.sand surface (220/320/400)
2.degrease/clean
3.tape
4.Prime with self-etching primer.
5.Paint with epoxy paint.
6.immediately/carefully remove tape.

Posted on: 2022/11/14 13:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I wouldn't sand. That'll permanently ruin the chrome surface. Listen to what "Kaz" said.

Make sure it's very clean, no wax, silicone, etc. I use prep-sol before paint.
I think self etch is bad as well. People have been using it wrong ever since it came out. You don't want acid trapped between the metal and paint - bad for the paint and adhesion. That's mainly use for aluminum to tooth the anodizing which neutralizes it.
You can use a little adhesion promoter spray, in place of the self etch, if you're worried. It's used for plastics where there no good penetration and shiny surface.

Posted on: 2022/11/17 15:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I wouldn't bother with the adhesion promoted designed for plastics. The mechanism by which it works(basically damaging a thin surface layer to increase its polarity) is not applicable to chrome.

Posted on: 2022/11/18 11:55
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Thanks for the advice. I have since read about self-etching primers and you are right that it is not always the right primer to use.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 13:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Self -etching primers and plastic adhesion promoter primers are two different things. The former is for bare steel, the latter for (primarily) thermoplastic olefins like modern bumper fascia.

Posted on: 2022/11/21 8:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved