Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Has anyone tried to install a modern transmission to a 1929 Packard engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Just wondering if anyone had any success with trying to hook a modern t5 trans to a 29 standard 8

Posted on: 2022/11/1 10:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Has anyone tried to install a modern transmission to a 1929 Packard engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Why?

I love the Packard transmission. I know there is some nut advertising a synchro trans for those cars for people who don't want to learn how to drive, but the only reason I can see to shelve it is if the double bearing becomes unavailable.

Other than that, get the car moving and put it into high gear if you don't want to shift. Packard advertised that any girl could drive those cars.

Posted on: 2022/11/2 5:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
The t5 transmission is an overdrive trans . I have no problem driving the car but I would like to go a little faster. Also my wife drove the car 1 time and that was enough to tell me that is a bad idea.

Posted on: 2022/11/2 5:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I recall, there was a poster who added a modern aftermarket standalone overdrive unit to his car made in that era. I don't remember details on the unit but maybe someone else will remember who it was and supply the into.

I believe the unit was mounted inline between the transmission and differential so it involved splitting the driveshaft and providing support for the unit. Most if not all the photos of the install were on his website or stored at a photo site rather than being posted on the forum but it was a very neat installation and seemed to do the job. Maybe worth considering something like that unless the synchro advantage is something that must be part of the package.

Unless the two transmission bolt patterns and overall sizes are the same I imagine the work to add the separate OD unit would not be too much more involved than it would be to adapt a different transmission to the bellhousing and fabricate new supports and driveshaft.

Posted on: 2022/11/2 8:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Gear Vendors is a well-respected company that builds overdrives and has experience with installations for classic cars:

https://www.gearvendors.com/restorationclassic.html

They have pictures for a 1929 Packard.

IIRC someone at Northern California Packards has one of these on his 1930's V12:

https://www.norcalpackards.org/

These guys also make an inline overdrive designed for vintage cars, which I know less about;

https://mitchelloverdrives.com/products/mitchell-model-1000/

Posted on: 2022/11/2 10:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have looked into a T5. The national "transmission hot rod" shops - aren't. If you're not one of their cookie cutter kits (think small block Chebbie), you're basically SOL.

Figure to fabricate all of your own installation bits.

I kinda called one of them on it, questioning their advertising. It was a wasted comment which didn't even make me feel better.

Posted on: 2022/11/2 21:14
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Just a comment on the Mitchell Overdrive...I've had one in my 1931 Model A Ford Tudor for 17 years and it has not given any trouble at all. About 20 Thousand miles of use. Steve Mitchell is the second generation of the business and he is great to work with...long wait times, they are back ordered almost all the time. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/11/3 8:39
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved