Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 Water Pump Troubleshooting
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
I have replaced the V-Belt for the 356. I am using NAPA Extended Life Coolant for my 50/50 mixture that I mix myself. Prior & afterward I'm still seeing some coolant seepage from base of the coolant flange/spout and also the base of the hot water feed fitting on cylinder head. The water pump sounds pretty normal otherwise except for a rare chirp. For a few mins until it then disappears after engine warms up there is also some odorless white smoke or vapor leaking from manifold side of engine near the 4th & 5th cylinders & from rear exhaust - again, both disappear upon warm up.

Q: On a side note what is this slot I see in the attached photo of the mounting cone on front of water pump - is that a ventilation slot? is it possible to squirt a little lubrication in there in hopes of doing some good or are the postwar pump bearings sealed?

Q: (See yellow arrow pointer in attached photo) What might that be sticking out of the slot? I thought it might be a cotter pin of sorts but looks more like an allen wrench sticking out. I wanted to pull it out but thought I better ask advice first on it?

Thank you very much for the help!

Attach file:

png  Yellow Arrow.png (891.31 KB)
224977_638bf76b925aa.png 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2022/12/3 20:28
Pappy47
 Top  Print 

Re: 47 Water Pump Troubleshooting
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Pappy47

That’s likely the bearing locking device. It is removed prior to pressing the bearing out of the housing, and re-installed after the bearing (likely a new one) is pressed back in. In the shop manual for the 53/54 cars, Section XIV Radiator and Cooling, there are a few brief words about the ‘bearing retainer lock’.

dp

Posted on: 2022/12/3 22:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
I believe that is part of the retaining clip for the main shaft. I tried removing mine and it snapped of clean.

The procedure for rebuilding the pump includes (as I recall) pulling the flange for the fan off the front, removing that clip, and then pressing the shaft from back to front out of the pump housing. If that clip cannot be removed I do not believe you can rebuild the pump without destroying the shaft (instead of just seals and bearing you'd need the shaft, too).

Posted on: 2022/12/3 22:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Pappy47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1x3-R2l03Q&t=574s

Here’s a YouTube video on rebuilding a water pump from a tractor. At 08:27 there is a discussion about the bearing retainer clip. The geometry of the clips will vary from one manufacture to another, but the concept and function is the same . . . it keeps the bearing from moving. The vane to housing dimension is a key characteristic in pump performance, and let’s not forget the mayhem that would result if the bearing/hub/pulley/fan moved forward.

If the retainer hole is essentially tangent to the outer diameter of the bearing, then wire is used as a retainer.

dp

Posted on: 2022/12/3 23:00
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
Is there any way to lubricate these water pumps at any spot?

Thank you, Tsherry & David

Posted on: 2022/12/3 23:27
Pappy47
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Pappy47
See User information
Oops, I also meant to ask you to comment on what may be causing the seepage from the original post - pasted again, below. Thanks, again!

I have replaced the V-Belt for the 356. I am using NAPA Extended Life Coolant for my 50/50 mixture that I mix myself. Prior & afterward I'm still seeing some coolant seepage from base of the coolant flange/spout and also the base of the hot water feed fitting on cylinder head. The water pump sounds pretty normal otherwise except for a rare chirp. For a few mins until it then disappears after engine warms up there is also some odorless white smoke or vapor leaking from manifold side of engine near the 4th & 5th cylinders & from rear exhaust - again, both disappear upon warm up.

Posted on: 2022/12/3 23:34
Pappy47
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved