Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

Peter Packard, michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Packard 400
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

5540Packards
See User information
Does anyone reproduce the rear package shelf for 1955 Senior Packards like the Patrician or 400?

Posted on: 2023/1/8 21:11
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I think most people make their own. It's made from a curious dyed/painted cardboard. It's not uncommon to replace that with something more stylish, like vinyl or carpet.

Posted on: 2023/1/9 1:42
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I made my own. You'll find that in my project blog. It's pretty much painted card stock. Like the material they make door panels out of.

Posted on: 2023/1/9 7:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I cemented some of the Lowes indoor-outdoor carpet on the cardboard rear shelf of my 55 Clipper. This was the same material I used in the trunk and interior carpet. Looked much better than the plain cardboard.

Posted on: 2023/1/9 12:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the original solid cardboard package shelf material was called cowlboard and it came in several colors. Restoration Specialties carried some of the colors but they only list black now and say to inquire about other color availability. Some of the internet upholstery shops that sell retail might also carry something that would work. If you have the perforated shelf that sort of matches the perforated headliner used in some HT models, there are not too many options in finding original material.

If your panel is not missing or seriously damaged you could cover it in solid color fabric to complement the upholstery or headliner. For a perforated headliner, there are some materials used in European car headliners that are a decent option in matching the original headliner but some are solid material with a pattern that just duplicates the perforations. I believe the material my upholsterer found was a Mercedes item and it was a fairly close match to that in my Caribbean HT. An option for a DIY approach would be to visit a local upholstery shop and see if they would order material from their wholesaler or maybe just have a sheet of door cardboard already in stock they would sell. That way you would probably pay less in freight than would be charged for an individual package. They could probably make you something and cover it in a suitable fabric to come close to your perforated headliner or solid color on the upholstery if you don't want to do it yourself. Another option might be to go to a home center and pick up a wood door skin. That is a sheet of fairly thin plywood which is meant to cover a damaged door. Several have used that material for both door panels and package shelves. It could be painted (several coats to do it properly) for a solid shelf or covered in solid or faux perforated fabric.

McMaster-Carr also carries some 1/8 thick perforated PVC sheet but I do not know how the hole spacing would match up to the headliner in those.

Posted on: 2023/1/9 13:31
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

5540Packards
See User information
I just found this website they said they can supply package shelves

www.collectorsautosupply.com/interior/package-tray

Posted on: 2023/1/9 22:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good find if the company makes something that fits and is of decent quality. If you get the shelf and it looks good let us know because they also list and show other interior items which several have asked about. One item does make me wonder if they make their own items or are just a reseller. The insulation pad they advertise as a 55-6 item appears to be the same as one made and sold by another company and that pad is incorrect. There are differences in the pads between the two years so one does not fit both years and the one they label for AC is actually the one for a heater only car.

Other than our specific parts vendors, things for low volume Packards are kind of forgotten with multi car supply places. Too often anything not Ford or Chevy results in a sort of one size fits all.

Posted on: 2023/1/10 0:24
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved