Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear suspension refresh
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Kapn
See User information
I'm looking to refresh the rear suspension on my 1948 Station Sedan.
I've been searching around to see if there's any postings or advice but I'm not finding much.
My plan was to replace bushings and the wear pads on the springs. I have access to a hydraulic press and I'd like to try and re arch the springs to get rid of a drivers side sag. Anything else I should think about? New springs from Eaton aren't out of the question but seems more fun to try and save the old ones and learn along the way (this is usually how I learn to just buy a new part).

Posted on: 2023/1/26 16:03
 Top  Print 

Re: Rear suspension refresh
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Kapn

I went though this about 7 years ago with my 1948 with very tired springs. Common wisdom I got was to have the rear springs re arched. I had a highly thought of local shop do this, along with rebuilding the front end. Re arching cold also includes inserting a new leaf that is thicker and is probably doing most of the work of the re arch.

I believe they did the work in good conscience but the car was unacceptable and I don't know how they thought it was. I had to take the car back and have them change some things since it wasn't right, and I paid them a little more to do this.

At this point I should have paid them the extra to get the new springs , it would have been much better. Of course common wisdom changed about that time to "get new springs"

Best

John Harley

Posted on: 2023/1/26 19:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Same here. I had the rear springs re-arced locally in San Jose, CA for my 1954 Patrician and it's never been the same since, riding far too high and slightly stiff.

Posted on: 2023/1/26 20:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Our 49 deluxe, Miss Prudence has new springs from Eaton and they just slipped right in and work properly. Installation in a local general maintenance took about two hours with three of us working on the project...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/1/27 13:24
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Kapn
See User information
Eaton springs arrived today. Need to order bushings and whatever else I should do while I’m at it. Any other suggestions? It currently has a set of air shocks. Not sure how old they are, at least 20 years. What does the transverse stabilizer do? Is that repairable or just order a new one from Max Merrit?

Posted on: 2023/2/13 21:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the official description of the purpose of the 5th shock absorber taken from the 21st and 22nd series fact books. Since there is not a core charge as Merritt usually has for anything rebuildable I don't think they can be repaired.

Some years ago someone came up with the idea to cut off the old shock and modify the rod assy so a Pinto rear shock could be adapted and installed on the rod. Don't know if anyone else ever tried it or how well it worked. No idea who or where the idea came from to give credit.

Attach file:

jpg  shock.jpg (263.80 KB)
209_63eb01226b13e.jpg 1764X1422 px

jpg  22nd shock.jpg (79.87 KB)
209_63eb029536fe6.jpg 1200X570 px

jpg  5th shock.jpg (50.40 KB)
209_63eb04e6155de.jpg 800X436 px

Posted on: 2023/2/13 22:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Kapn

I thought the junior cars just had a Panhard rod without a shock absorber but I was wrong once before , too. I believe Ron Carpenter in the Packard Club, in California rebuilds them. In any rate the on on my hasn't been rebuilt-yet.

Maybe Eaton has mounting kits with all the bushings and such. Other wise Kanter and Merritt should know what you need. If you have a parts book it will help tracking things down. Steel Rubber might be worth a look , I forget if they have these or not. Kanter sold me a new equivalent for my rears, but a little sleuthing might help you find them also .

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2023/2/14 11:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon…Our new bushings came from Eaton. They can supply what you need. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2023/2/14 14:31
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, some prewar juniors did utilize a rear lateral sway bar with hydraulic action, the 1941 120 Owner's Manual gives some details of the unit used on that model. Answer is in the Parts List as to the full coverage of such devices.

And yes, last I heard Ron Carpenter is still offering rebuild services on these units.

Posted on: 2023/2/14 15:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
John, some prewar juniors did utilize a rear lateral sway bar with hydraulic action, the 1941 120 Owner's Manual gives some details of the unit used on that model. Answer is in the Parts List as to the full coverage of such devices.

My 1939 Six had it while my 1940 110s did not. For 1940, the tubular shocks were reposition in such a way as to dampen both up and down and side to side motion of the rear axle by angling them forward and inward while for 1939 that were angled forward only.

Posted on: 2023/2/15 3:23
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved