Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

First drive / Thermostat ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
After working on my '51 200 Deluxe since October I finally got her to drivable condition. Registered her on Tuesday and took her for a ride. Surprised by the quiet ride and it goes straight with no wandering and stops straight.
I do not know what to expect from the Ultramatic but the take off from a start I would rate as leisurely at best. Then again, I think I am trying to get over 4000 pounds moving with 135hp. I did have some overheating and have since tuned the car up and timed it. Big difference. My next project is the hoses and belts. I found numbers in the cross-reference for the upper and radiator hoses but how about the short, straight hose in the center on passengers' side? Also, If I have all the hoses off, I will replace the thermostat. Do I use a 160 deg or 180? Could not find a definitive answer in the archives. I will mostly drive the car in the summer but on a nice 40-degree day It might be taken out as well.
Thanks to you all for the help in getting the 200 Deluxe back on the road after almost 30 years. Dan

Posted on: 2023/2/19 21:03
 Top  Print 

Re: First drive / Thermostat ?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just remember a thermostat set the lower temp range of the motor when warmed up, not the maximum.

The guage is a relative temp. If it's not boiling over your fine. Mine runs between M in the work T E M P when warmed up. They are not dead accurate guages.

Posted on: 2023/2/19 21:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
51-2 standard thermostat was 160 degree and there was an optional 180. For 53-4 they went to a 170 standard with the 180 still optional. 1950 and earlier did have a lower temp option and while maybe not a current factory option it was still available thru the dealers if the customer needed it. In a hot desert climate you would probably want the lower temp thermostat so it opens and the water can start circulating before engine and water gets too hot and the ambient air hinders cooling. In an extremely cold northern or arctic type climate you would want the 180 degree for better heater operation. In a lot of places back then it was not uncommon to have the car go into the dealer for a fall or spring inspection and during the checks the thermostat was often changed for the expected operating conditions.

Several years since I last bought a radiator hose but IIRC, in most cases the aftermarket upper hoses will be a bit long on one or both ends and will need to be cut to size so the bend is at the proper location. There should be enough left over after cutting to size for the short straight piece.

Posted on: 2023/2/19 21:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For the hose, I used a Goodyear 60751 which was then cross referenced to a Napa part number, several of which were in stock at the rural Napa I use. As Howard said, you'll have t cut it which leaves enough left over for the shorter hoses.

Posted on: 2023/2/20 13:40
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Thanks guys, The top hose from NAPA is indeed about 4" too long and is enough to do the center hose also. Got things apart and found there was no thermostat at all. Went to put the new one in and it will drop right into the engine. Huh? More research on the archives revealed that I needed a small wire retainer. Ordered the retainer and will finish the lower hoses while the part is being shipped. Did get about 10 miles in today chasing parts. Seems to run better each time I take it out.
P.S. Trying to find the thermostat housing gasket I told the counter person at the local parts emporium that it was for a 1951 Packard 200. His response was " Who made Packards?"

Posted on: 2023/2/20 19:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Olson’s Gaskets has the pattern and can make them in 1/8” thick cork which in my experience seals far better than the thin type available over the counter. The housing is just stamped steel and likely not flat and the cork can take up the irregularities while the thin gaskets cannot.

Posted on: 2023/2/21 2:22
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Quote:

Packard Don wrote:
Olson’s Gaskets has the pattern and can make them in 1/8” thick cork which in my experience seals far better than the thin type available over the counter. The housing is just stamped steel and likely not flat and the cork can take up the irregularities while the thin gaskets cannot.

Don, Thanks for the heads-up on a cork gasket. I had a little time today and made one up out of 1/8" cork. Should work fine. Car is laid up until that little wire clip comes in.

Posted on: 2023/2/22 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Just for the record, Kanter makes a replacement thermostat housing that is single-piece instead of the two-piece housing, the latter being a bit of a pain, thought they both I think need the little wire retainer Don't know if the latter is what you have or not. Anyhow, just thought I'd post this here for people who may run across this thread in the future.

Kanter 1948-54 Packard Parts

5.0508T ---- Thermostat housinG, replacement kit 1951-54 119.00

Posted on: 2023/2/23 0:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved