Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 37

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bowden Cables
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
While still working on dash components, I found all the Bowden cables working poorly. I tried oiling them, but after a while realized that the inner wire is kinked badly in several spots all all the cables; (Know Doubt someone pushing them out of the way to try to patch the existing wiring). I've got them moving much smoother, but the truth is I'd rather replace them. Is there a source for these cables. I thought about making my own but the end that goes into the control would be problematic. Amy ideas?

Posted on: 2023/3/3 18:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Bowden Cables
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I do! I just replaced the inner wire a few months ago on one of mine.

Reading thru this thread will get you pretty far I think.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26133

How kinked are yours? They are always a bit stiff even under the best of circumstances.

Posted on: 2023/3/3 18:23
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Bowden Cables
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hey, thank you that's great!. The car I am working on is a 1950 Super eight. The control end is maybe? crushed or flattened inside a brass auger type shaft that is operated by rotating the knob on the control. There is a tiny hole and you can just barely see it. On the other hand, Maybe the hand bending I did on the kinks will be good enough. The internal wire only moves about an inch and three eights. I have hand tested in the house with some decent bends in the cables and they do move much smoother.

Thank again

Posted on: 2023/3/3 20:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved