Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Pump rebuild question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Working on a fuel pump (AC double action) for the 1951 Packard 200. My question is, Are there more than one type of oil seal and retainer used on these pumps. The pump kit I got from Then and Now Automotive has a seal and retainer that seems too thick for my application. They have a video on Utube that shows the seal and retainer going into the recess and is staked down around the edges. When I install the part down into the recess it is a good .040 above where it should be staked.
I tried calling Then and Now but all you get is a recording saying they are short staffed and call back later. Thanks again for all the help guys. Dan

Posted on: 2023/3/14 9:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel Pump rebuild question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I looked at various options and decided getting a rebuilt fuel pump from Kanter was the best deal. It cost a little $$ but has worked flawlessly.

Posted on: 2023/3/14 11:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The kits that I got from them have VERY tight seals too but they do go in with some effort after making sure that all signs of deformation from the swaging of the old one. I used a sharp deburr tool for that but with some creativity you can probably use something else more readily available.

Posted on: 2023/3/14 12:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

moodydavid16
See User information
I believe I got one of the same kits and after rebuilding the pump it still didn’t work. Could have been an error on my part but still I didn’t feel like it was a very good place to buy from. I would recommend either Kanter or Max Merrit for your go to place for future buys.

Posted on: 2023/3/14 14:56

Checkup on your friends.

1948 Super Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
OK, got the oil seal figured out but I already have the vacuum section installed and can't figure out how to clip the eyehole on the diaphragm rod to the hook on the pump arm. Without completely dissasembling the whole unit is there a way to install the diaphragm? I fished with it for hours tonight and got nowhere. Hate to be a quitter but about ready to call Kanter or Max and use this one for a core.

Posted on: 2023/3/14 18:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There are two types of connectors, depending on pump type so be sure you have the correct one. For the hook type, as I recall the instructions indicating removing the arm. I'm in the midst of rebuilding one of these two for my 1951 but haven;'t gotten that far yet as it isn't my main focus at the moment.

Posted on: 2023/3/14 18:42
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved