Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 124

Gary Kulp, pmhowe, John Iaccino, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Voltage Regulators - What Is Normal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
So, I've been chasing a variety of issues that have started simply enough with lack of power at high RPM on my 2302-5, along with no charge from the generator. On the fuel side, I'm running a 6v Carter rotary fuel pump. On the spark side, I'm running a Pertronix ignitor. The car is otherwise stock.

In chasing the spark side, I've been working on all the grounds, cleaning connections. I found my rotor pretty well charred, and the cap is in similar shape, so I'm going to replace those, along with suppression plug wires (running Champion RJ8C spark plugs - those look OK and I'll continue to run them), all from Brillman.

I finally arrived at the voltage regulator and took that apart to clean the contact points. Upon opening the case, I found the points for the armature and field completely misaligned (as seen in the photos), and there was no discernable spark. I started playing with the armature points (they move side to side) and got it to where I began seeing a very small spark, and the ammeter on the gauge began registering a charge. To my shock (ha), in order to achieve that result, the pictures show the alignment (or lack thereof) that actually worked to get the battery and generator talking again.

So I apologize if these are dumb questions, but surely that can't be right? I would assume that the points in the regulator should a. Line up the same way they would in the distributor, and b. I would see a more consistent, discernable spark between the contacts. Would the faulty regulator have anything to do with effecting the spark or performance of the ignitor (already knowing that it was definitely getting in the way of the generator doing its job)? As far as Google says, I don't have any flickering/dimming lights, so I didn't even think to look here.

I ordered a new regulator as well with the new spark components, assuming that what I have is defective. Is there anything that I could've done to damage the regulator? It's less than a year old, came from one of the reputable parts vendors, and aside from being mounted to the firewall, has never been apart. Just scratching my head here. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Attach file:

jpg  20230527_110330.jpg (246.01 KB)
225648_6472238750832.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20230527_110321.jpg (224.30 KB)
225648_6472239783031.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/5/27 10:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Voltage Regulators - What Is Normal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
While waiting for am answer on the regulator, you might talk with Pertronix before adding suppression plug wires as I seem to recall they said not to use that type. I may be mistaken, though.

Posted on: 2023/5/27 11:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Great suggestion. Sent a message in to them. Thanks so much!

Posted on: 2023/5/27 12:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would very much recommend against using both resister spark plugs and resister ignition wiring.

You might want to check older posts about the reliability of Pertronix in 6-volt positive ground systems when battery voltage is less than ideal. Many owners have reverted back to conventional points and condenser for better reliability. Not making a recommendation one way or the other, just that you make or have made an informed choice.

Yes, those regular points should be in alignment!! Is that an OEM or aftermarket unit? Brand?

Posted on: 2023/5/27 13:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
That makes sense, and I wondered about this. Brillman's site says you have to use suppression wiring with electronic ignition. But I also do know those Champions are resistor plugs, too, and wondered about this as it relates to the efficacy of the spark. I've read that generally, it's suggested to use resistor plugs and non-resistor wire. In this case (using electronic ignition), would you suggest pursuing a non-resistor plug, or should I revise my order for the copper core wire and keep my plugs?

Posted on: 2023/5/27 13:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Joe; In the FAQ section of the PerTronix’s website they make a statement “With all PerTronix ignitions we recommend that a suppression style spark plug wire (also called carbon core) be used.” That said, the majority of the answer references electromagnetic interference and how that might be detrimental to ignition systems (i.e. their product).

I did run my 6+ volt ’48 with a PerTronix ignitor module, their 1.5 ohm coil, and ‘solid’ ignition wires. I didn’t have a problem with that set-up, but switched to resistor wires as a trouble-shooting A/B test. The car seems to run just fine with either wire set. The car was left in the resistor wire configuration for the last 3-4 years. I have zero experience with resistor type spark plugs in that car.

dp

Posted on: 2023/5/27 14:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
I thought about trying the points again, I have a new set in the trunk...

The voltage regulator came from Max Merritt. Beyond that, I'm not sure where they sourced it.

Posted on: 2023/5/27 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I use stainless wires. No problem with pertronics.

I also use diodes .

Posted on: 2023/5/27 14:54
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Alright, here's what we're going to try. With the new plug wires, cap, rotor, and voltage regulator from Brillman, I'm also going to switch from the Champion RJ8C to Autolite 295's (their site lists the plug for all "All Packard's with 14mm thread"). It's a non-resistor copper core plug, so, hoping this helps.

In the meantime, I tested some older RJ8C's I took off the engine last fall to check for resistance. Of the 8, only 2 fell within the resistance range Champion lists for this plug. I haven't pulled any of the current plugs, but I'd be willing to bet some of these plugs are experiencing similar issues with resistance exceeding spec.

If anyone has any additional any insights thoughts on the whole subject, please share! I'll let y'all know what I find out. Thanks, everyone!

Posted on: 2023/5/27 19:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm a long-time fan of Autolite 303 plugs in all Packards using 14mm plugs.

Posted on: 2023/5/27 19:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved