Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 251

Don B, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Headlight bulb question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Before I 100% finalize my headlight wiring, I have a question to make sure I get it right. On the 2330 bulbs, which terminal is high beam and which is low beam.

So that we’re all talking the same….let’s assume sitting in the driver’s seat and looking forward. The two terminals will be oriented horizontally. Is the right hand terminal high or low beam?

I know which color wires for high and low, I just need to make sure I get them to the correct side of the sockets.

EDIT: photo for reference…top of photo is up…is the right hand terminal high or low beam?

If anyone can at least let me know what wire color you have on the right and and left hand terminals for a 1937 120, that will give me what I need.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8347.jpeg (165.16 KB)
225755_6539d2cfb8268.jpeg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2023/10/25 21:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlight bulb question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
An easy and quick check would be with a 6V battery and two leads (ground and power). Simply attach the ground lead to the base of a bulb and the power lead to one of the terminals. Then do the other terminal. You should be able to tell which is the low and high beam filament by brightness.

Posted on: 2023/10/26 12:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Yeah...that's actually what is raising the question. With the bulbs that I have, I'm not seeing a huge difference other than one beam seems more focused and one seems a little more spread out.

In the following pictures, the first is the "low" beam as currently wired, and the second is the "high" beam.

Granted, the bulbs I have may not be the greatest, but they are consistent.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8348.jpeg (285.87 KB)
225755_653aa2f44e10a.jpeg 2048X1536 px

jpeg  IMG_8349.jpeg (269.19 KB)
225755_653aa30496dac.jpeg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2023/10/26 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
With these bulbs, low and high beam may be equally bright. One filament is placed for hi beam, and the other for lo, and both have the same CP rating in many cases, such as 32/32. The bulbs should only fit the socket one way.

Posted on: 2023/10/26 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Right...but, I'm trying to make sure I have the sockets wired correctly. I know which wire is for high and low, but I need to make sure those go to the correct terminals on the bulb. So...

Back to my question...with the bulb oriented as I showed in the original photo with the top of the photo being up....which terminal on the bulb is high and low?

Posted on: 2023/10/26 13:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Typically a low beam is angled more downward and the high beam is more straight ahead.

Posted on: 2023/10/26 13:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Yeah...in this case, I'm not really seeing a difference up and down. I do see a difference in the "focus" of the beam. If someone can just let me know the wire colors you have on each terminal of the bulb as the bulb is installed, it would answer my question.

Posted on: 2023/10/26 14:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You may try backing the car further away from the wall. It may help to show the difference.

I can't help as mine had H4 bulbs installed.

Posted on: 2023/10/26 14:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
There may be information in the Literature archive under Body Manual or one of the other service publications.
The headlights on the 120s are different from most other cars. For one thing, left and right lenses are different, and if you are using the "Country" switch position, dimming the lights will cause one headlight to go dark and the other to go to low beam. There is information in the archive on switch functions and how to aim the lights correctly. There are wiring diagrams, too.

Posted on: 2023/10/26 14:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I can’t back the car up. It’s on stands, doesn’t run, and the driveway is a down hill slope. I also haven’t found any information anywhere else.

I know that for the right headlight, green is high beam and red is low beam. I just need to know which color goes to which terminal on the bulb/socket.

Similar for the left headlight…yellow is high beam, white is low beam, but what color on which terminal.

I only need to know for one headlight as the right hand terminal will be the same beam on both headlights.

Can someone take a look and let me know the orientation of the wire colors at the socket/bulb?

Posted on: 2023/10/26 15:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved