Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 150

RCJ56, Ozstatman, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Windshield wipers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Now that the rainy season has set in I thought it was a good thing to work on the wipers for my 55 Patrician with the Mag-nu-matic windshield washer. I looked through previous posts and did not find anything that helped. So far I oiled the wiper motor as directed, oiled the cables under the dash and made sure that nothing was dragging, changed the wiper blades and trimmed off the brittle ends of the hoses for a good connection (as the are still flexible), the system wants to work but is very weak. I wondered if I the washer unit was pulling down the vacuum and thought of plugging the lines until I fix the Mag-nu-matic like HH showed us. Does anyone have any suggestions as I plan on being under the dash for a few more revolutions of Pluto while I replace the speedo. BigKev has posted a good exploded drawing of the mechanics but I think that a closer look with a hose attachment diagram would be good. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/6/28 11:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Windshield wipers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Look at plates 42 and 43 of the 55-56 parts manual. Very good illustrations.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 11:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This illustration from parts book about as good as it gets for exploded dwng.

If you have tried the oiling and still not much action, it's possible there is a vac leak but I'd go ahead and replace all the hoses rather than just trim the ends. You can cap the port on right side of balance valve (as looking at item 31.38619 in dwng) going to washer to totally eliminate all the washer associated.

Make sure the two small hoses to wiper switch are on correct ports. Move the little lever under knob to one side or other with engine running & if hiss is heard at either position, reverse hoses. If still an original motor and never been rebuilt, then that would be the next step. This companyhttp://www.wiperman.com/ highly recommended but takes about 3 wks.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.84 KB)
209_4a47990e2da56.jpg 633X510 px

Posted on: 2009/6/28 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Alternate solution: electric wipers -- problem solved.

If you still want the washer function, then there are simple, cheap aftermarket units for that. Personally, I always disconnect the washer because it tends to scratch the windshield glass.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/6/28 12:10
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
This may sound nuts, but seriously.... Brake fluid.

my 56 pats wipers were trying but deathly slow and weak. On the advice of a neighbor and fellow classic car enthusist, i put an ounce or two worth of regular old DOT 3 brake fluid into the wiper motor using a short hose, and let it sit for twenty minutes. After waiting i reconnected, and couldnt believe the difference! It was like a compleely different motor.

he said he had useed it with great sucess on his own late 40s Plymouth.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 14:55
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i did manually operate the valve during the 20 minute sit.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 14:58
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
This is what was placed on my '55 Packard 400. It bolts right on and I was able to still use my original knob on the interior.

Attach file:

gif  (25.70 KB)
20_4a47e1430140e.gif 317X231 px

Posted on: 2009/6/28 16:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
Thanks all for the suggestions, the hose connection was per diagram so its gota be a leak somewhere, will replace the hose and will try the brake fluid. Should have time next week.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 19:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In the absence of other problems, a wiper motor rebuild should restore excellent wiper operation. I highly recommend Ficken Wiper Service, once a Trico service facility; many who have reported back on his service say the results are excellent, and of course you maintain originality of your car which may or may not be of importance to you.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Morgan
See User information
My aim is to keep her as original as possible and even plan to put some 1955 coins in the ashtrays. Your suggestions are gratefully appreciated and well as your patience, I still will have lots of questions. If the new hose or other suggestions fail and the only fix is to remove the motor for rebuild, when I remove the motor will the cable assembly under the dash remain attached or is something that I need to know. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/6/28 21:08
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved