Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carter 644SA Question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
I need an exploded view for this carb. While taking mine apart a ball rolled out and I am not exactly sure where it needs to be. From what I seen on my rebuild kit instruction the one I can hardly see I am just not sure. The screen is still in the bottom of the excelerator pump chamber.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 9:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Carter 644SA Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What's it used on? Looked thru my Motors manuals back to 36 and don't see that number listed.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At least one of my reference sources, Nat Dawes book, lists the 644SA for 22nd series after motor numbers G200015 and H200016.

EDIT - just checked Motor's (12th Edit) and it also shows the 644SA for 22nd series Eight and Super Eight.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 11:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, O_D. Found it. 11th series manual only to 47 and breakdown in 17th series by type so in different chart.

Hope this helps--Fig 71 & 72 only mention I see of check balls in carb section and then one in the starter switch.

Attach file:

jpg  (208.01 KB)
209_4a85934523b86.jpg 952X1280 px

jpg  (60.51 KB)
209_4a8593eb5ba38.jpg 800X635 px

Posted on: 2009/8/14 11:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
The figure I think is figure 71 wdo. What I do not see is the pump check needle or ball. I installed the pump check needle then the ball. Any one know if this is correct?

Posted on: 2009/8/14 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Been years since I had one of these apart, and I didn't review the info that was posted, but common engineering sense says you need two checks, one at the pump inlet (probably a ball) to prevent discharge from going back out the inlet side, and another on the outlet side, probably a needle, to prevent venturi vacuum from bleeding off the pump jet outlets. Just my thoughts - could be incorrect.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have the Carter specification sheet for the 644S and 644SA carburetors. It shows only 2 balls - the small one used for the accelerator pump suction (under the screen at the bottom of the plunger chamber) and the larger one used for the starter switch. Only a needle valve is used for the accelerator pump discharge.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 21:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
Thanks BEDeb

I will remove the ball from where I installed it. Is there any chance I could get a copy of your sheet on the the 644SA carb. If you can email it to ralwesnotary@gmail.com

Posted on: 2009/8/15 6:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
I suppose the last rebuilder of the carb just got it wrong when he decided there needed to be an extra ball installed. I finished rebuilding the carb this morning and it is running much better. Thanks all for you assistance I could not have made it without you help. Bottom line it runs very well with just a single pair of balls.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Me too!
Well, someone had to say it.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 13:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved