Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ultramatic fluid level check and add
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi All! So I'm going through the three manuals that I have and none of them show how to check the fluid level on my '53 ultramatic. I feel like an utter idiot, but I can't find a dipstick for it! I've also heard that these transmissions are REAL finicky about their fluid level. Can I get some help here?

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:20
 Top  Print   

Re: ultramatic fluid level check and add
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Pull up the carpet and look for a little metal cap to remove on the Passenger's side of the "hump". There's a itty bitty dipstick under there waiting for you to discover it.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Scottie,

Late 1954's with a GearStart transmission were the first Ultramatics to have a conventional under-hood dipstick. The transmission fluid was checked by the dealer with the car on a lift. So if you don't want to crawl under the car, or have access to a lift, follow Eric's suggestion above.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 21:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Close, but no cigar. Your dipstick is under the car on the left front corner of the tranny, just behind the bellhousing. You'll see a 3" tall tube sticking up with a cap on it. That's the one. Check it with the tranny warm, and RIGHT after you've turned the car off. You can add fluid by pulling back the carpet and put it through the vent that is just under a little access plate there, but there is no dipstick there.

When doing a complete refill, take a 2' piece of heater hose and jam it into the fill tube and bring the other end up into the engine compartment. You can jam a funnel into that and fill to your heart's content.

Despite rumors, the 49-54 Ultras are not all that picky about fluid level. They hold almost three gallons, for crying out loud. I've seen them do just fine more than two quarts low. Just last week in fact.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ok, driver's side then.

Posted on: 2009/10/27 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Question, When did they provide the removable cover under the carpet for the trans dip stick? My 51-300 doesn't have the cover. Have to go under the car to pull the dip stick.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Before I do something stupid, what is the best type fluid to put into my ultramatic?

Posted on: 2009/11/20 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
When did they provide the removable cover under the carpet for the trans dip stick?

I don't believe I have ever seen a cover just for a dipstick. The 23rd series had a removable top of hump but 51-4 just had the removable cover in front of seat over the breather where you could add fluid.

Quote:
what is the best type fluid to put into my ultramatic

This one will probably give as many answers as you care to read. Believe the consensus is if you want to stick to conventional fluid then type F is as close to old type A currently available and would be the choice if you have original band and clutch facings. If the trans has been rebuilt using the modern GM linings that some of vendors supply, then believe their consensus is either F or GM type OK.

Several have mentioned B&M trick shift as working very well and recommend that to help clear up mis-shifting and assorted ills from sitting.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.54 KB)
209_4b06ca4028cdd.jpg 600X439 px

Posted on: 2009/11/20 11:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In the FAQ Forum, I believe there is a FAQ that covers recommended Ultramatic Fluids.

Posted on: 2009/11/20 13:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved