Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1955 Caribbean Manual Trans.
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Were there really only 3 '55 Caribbeans with manual transmissions?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4X5iXjlPjhA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4X5iXjlPjhA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posted on: 2009/11/22 17:36
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Caribbean Manual Trans.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Were there really only 3 '55 Caribbeans with manual transmissions?

I doubt there were any official standard-shift 55 Caribbeans as there was no engine manufacturing code for the Caribbean engine except with Twin Ultramatic.

No doubt a dealer occasionally undertook a conversion, though it would seem remote that it would have been on anything other than a post-sale basis.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 19:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
FWIW, I personally have seen ONE manual trans 1955 Caribbean at a PI swap meet in Orange County, CA. The owner claimed that it was original.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 20:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Prior to buying my 400 in 1999 I spied a '55 Caribbean in Prescott AZ. I was in the market so to speak, but with few dollars in the pocket, I passed on the '55 Carib that had a 3-speed manual transmission. The car was going for about 17k as I recall and the original owner had moved from Detroit to AZ for health reasons. At the time the man was quite old, and he was also selling a '55 Clipper HT & a '41 120 sedan also. A friend purchased the 120 sight unseen and I don't know what ever happened to the convertible. I took lots of pictures (35mm) at the time, and each time I see them today I kick myself hard in the a__! Reference the transmission, the story was that it was a factory replacement! The man was so frustrated with the TU that he returned the car to the factory and they installed the dependable manual unit for him.

That and a dollar buys us a cup of Joe.

kg

Posted on: 2009/11/22 20:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Steve Williams in Napa CA had a Carib ('56?) with three on the tree and OD. He said it was converted at the buyer's request prior to delivery by Earl Anthony, the SF dealer.

Anyone know what happened to his cars & stuff after he passed away?

Posted on: 2009/11/22 20:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have a copy of a work order showing my father converted a '56 Caribbean Convertible from Twin Ultramatic to a manual shift transmission. This work was done in the early '60s.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 21:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Unlike other makers of expensive cars, Packard had a policy of offering a manual transmission as an option even on more expensive cars. Whether this extended all the way to the top of the line I do not know.

What was Packard's policy on special orders? Some makers would fill such an order even if the option was not in the catalog. For example there are at least 2 1966 Dodge Coronet Hemi 4 door sedans that have been authenticated as factory built, even though Dodge did not offer the Hemi engine in a 4 door car.

What I am driving at is this. Does a manual shift Caribbean fit in with Packard's known policies? This does not mean such a car was ever built, only that it was possible. From what I know of Packard it would at least seem possible that they would build such a car to special order.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 12:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
I have an article on the 54 Pacific, which was available on special order with a weird lavender color (I forget what Packard called it) and even the wheel wells were painted lavender. The author opined that at the time, Packard would do almost anything to sell a car. It would not surprise me if they would accept an order for a manual trans Carib, but the ones I've heard of were converted by the dealer, much like the 56 Golden Hawks equipped with dual quads.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 12:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Amythyst (probably spelled wrong) & Carnation were I believe the colors you referred to. Those cars used a special paint code on the VN plate which was used for all the small batch "field-test" colors and was not specific to any of them. If memory serves the code was "R". Some good articles have appeared over the years in TPC on these special colors.

On the subject of what was or would have been done by the factory versus the dealer, hard evidence is not abundant. But I think common sense says that unless the factory had codes for some of these changes, they would find it more practical to farm the work to the selling dealer.

Rusty, I really can't comment on your question of what the factory policies were; on the topic of standard shift in V8 Caribbeans I'm guided mostly by the fact that the engine plant had separate build codes for standard shift or ultramatic for some models (flex plate or flywheel), but NOT for the Caribbean (or the Patrician or 400 either, if I recall correctly).

PS - I believe the 1953 Caribbean was the only Caribbean where the standard shift w/ or w/o overdrive was available w/o question.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 13:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Nice video I must say, I have a hard time making a comment to this car, but I saw a 1955 Clipper for sale on Ebay in 2009 August that had a factory manual transmission set. I should have the pictures of it, if I can find them from my computer.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 14:30
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved