Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 327 oil filter
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric
See User information
When did Packard make an oil filter standard on the straight 8's? my 49 deluxe touring with the 327 does not have one but my 50 does? I am curious if my 49's was removed along the way or if Packard never put it in. I have a picture of the engine taken when the car removed from its 50 year nap in the original owners garage and it is not there.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/1/21 6:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 327 oil filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Standard equipment on the Senior cars, 1934 thru 1939, the 320 and 385 cubic inch Eights and Super Eights. Starting in 1940 they were standard again on the Senior cars, the 356 engine with hydraulic lifters. Optional at extra cost on all others.

During 1951-54 I believe they were only standard on engines with hydraulic lifters. It was only with the advent of the V8 that oil filters were standard across the board.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 9:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
In working on the content for the 48-50 Service Index (though it is far from ready for public display), I found a couple of Service Counselor articles that caught my eye.

First, "Installing Oil Filters - Equipment PA-378686 and PA-378689" in the Dec. 1, 1948 SC (p. 56) covers installation of oil filter kits on the Six, Eight, and Super Eight:

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL22NO14.pdf

Judging from the 48-54 parts book, these kits appear to be applicable to all 22nd and 23rd Series models.

However, "New Type Oil Filter" in the May 1, 1947 SC (p. 42) advised that oil filter equipment that was standard on 21st Series Super Eight was now available for Six & Eight models:

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO9.pdf

The P/Ns for those kits are same what was cited for 22nd-23rd Series, but are not listed in the 41-47 parts book. There appears to be no "Accessory" section as later parts books would have. According to the 41-47 parts book, the details of the equipment date back to 20th Series - all with the "PA" accessory prefix.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
My 50 288 has a filter. It was quite an ordeal to get a cartridge here locally. I found a cartridge for a 60's Mercedes to fit very closely.
All 48 to 50's I have seen here have the oil filter setup as well as the heavy duty air filter for dusty conditions. I presume it was a necessity here locally as most of our roads were dirt farm roads in the late 40's.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 3:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My '54 327 has an oil filter on it. But the canister unit itself was from a previous model (early 40s). So not sure if a dealer installed it, or it was installed by an owner at a later date.

Whoever did it, then did not plumb it as a by-pass. So I had to replumb it correctly. The factory return plug was still in place, which leads me to believe it left the factory without a filter kit. Oil Filters were always listed as an option from what I understand.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 14:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It's funny you say a Mercedes filter fits your Packard. Years ago I had a Mercedes 240 diesel and a Ford tractor filter was the same as the Mercedes filter.

Here in farm country it was a lot easier to get a Ford tractor filter than a Mercedes filter. Cheaper too.

Wonder if the Ford filter would fit a Packard?

Posted on: 2010/1/22 17:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved