Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Factory AC Condenser
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some time back PackardV8 asked for size and info of V8 factory unit.

Here are some pictures of mine. I can't find a number anywhere to verify but appears to be same as what is shown in field install manual (top left picture). With the brackets configured with holes as they are, am 99% sure it is factory.

56 used hoses rather than the 55 solid tubing so that is difference with top connection and bottom copper tube is obviously not original due to aftermaket receiver/dryer.

Attach file:

jpg  (148.30 KB)
209_4bcb61d9390f2.jpg 1000X1093 px

Posted on: 2010/4/18 14:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Factory AC Condenser
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanks for the pics. Note that the condensor sets rather far away from the radiator compared to most other vehicle applications. I found that on my car (using TOyota condensor) that fitting thin aluminum filler plates at the top and bottom of the condensor really helped to keep the radiator cooler and the condensor more efficient. The idea is to keep air from rushing into the space between the radiator and the condensor. Air is either forced THRU the condensor and then to radiator or thru the radiator tubes that are not behind the condensor.

On the oem set up where is the site glass located???? Or to ask the question a different way: Does the upper splasher have to be removed to view the site glass?????

Posted on: 2010/4/18 20:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Middle pic on the right. There appears to be somekind of epoxy pasted over the upper 2" of fins?????

Posted on: 2010/4/18 20:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sight glass is easily seen. Located on the inner fender just above the ventilation tube and between the battery tray and the rear edge. In the general area under the pushbutton relays or side of washer jar if no relays. Nothing on condenser in way of epoxy--maybe just bent or camera angle.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 20:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The measurements u gave are the most important part for all of us to know. That size, regardless of thickness, is very difficult to find in a condensor.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Lower pic on the the left. There appears to be 2wo 3/8 hoses running along the lower splasher just under the bottom right corner of the condensor. What are those???

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not too sure the depth is as important now because modern condensers are much more efficient. Classic and NAP have something close-- 16h x 25w x 1 1/4d. Classic also has a 27w. Flanges might work but connections might be an issue on that one and require horn to move. The hoses are for my transmission cooler.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Width of any donor car or aftermarket condensor has presented problems to me. NOTE that there are 2wo horizontal, longitudinal grill support rods on each side of the condensor. Also, the lower splasher has a lot of verticle taper.

Looking at your pics it appears to me that the OEM dimensions are very near maximum for height and width.

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bracket height on OEM are at maximum and core is close. Anything new approaching the max core size would take some careful measurements and maybe a bit of extra bracket support work and their kit. The grill supports would have to go on top of brackets but think it doable--also the taper since the condenser not as tall. As mentioned, Classic has quite an assortment--here are the ones closest to OEM type. What would need to be determined is if the overall size given is including brackets or just the core.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.92 KB)
209_4bcbc238f2870.jpg 749X290 px

Posted on: 2010/4/18 21:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved