Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 59

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

removing rear brake drum on 52 300
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Now that I have finally gotten the tire off, which did necessitate me letting some air out of it, I am having difficulty removing the drum. I have removed rear drums on numerous other vehicles and having adequate information to do so. I have the Packard repair manual and I can not find in it a view of the drum actually off the rear. I can not find an exploded view of the assembly.

I am making an assumption that the drum comes off without me removing the large axle nut. Can someone tell me if that is the case. Or if I do need to remove the axle nut.

Any help appreciated.
Chuck in AZ

Posted on: 2007/12/2 15:18
 Top  Print   

Re: removing rear brake drum on 52 300
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are not many pictures of disassembly other than a couple in brake and rear axle section. Here is a pict from the 46-50 manual showing the Packard version of puller. You can probably rent something similar--just be sure its heavy duty. Procedure I've used is to loosen the rear nut several turns so there is a gap to drum but leave it on. Use puller but be careful not to damage nut or threads or beat it enough to damage anything in the rear end. If drum hasn't been off for a long time it will probably be quite the procedure. Sometimes you tighten, nothing happens so just walk away for a while then come back and tighten some more. Once it does break free, the nut on axle will keep drum from flying off and doing damage. Am sure there will be other opinions that may work as well or better but this works for me.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.48 KB)
209_47531f50dcdc9.jpg 496X703 px

Posted on: 2007/12/2 16:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure how you could believe the drum could come off without first removing the nut! But when using the drum puller shown by another poster, many folks will leave the nut on by a few turns so when the drum breaks loose, it doesn't fall to the floor and possibly get damaged.

And don't forget when reassembling, DO NOT lubricate the axle taper or taper inside the drum, the precision of this dry fit is what actually drives the car and if you lubricate it the key alone will not withstand the torque. And the torque on the axle nut is important when reassembling.

Posted on: 2007/12/2 18:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Thanks for both the replies. Especially the picture of the puller used.
Also, not to start an issue, but there are many vehicles out there where the rear drums will come off without the axle nut or the center hub. I appreciate the replies and will continue to solicit information from those williling to give it. This forum is the best for Packard owners and, Thanks again for all the help.

Posted on: 2007/12/2 20:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Most modern cars have rears drums that slip on over the hub and are held on by the lug nuts. On the Packard, it uses lug bolts that screw into the drum itself. So what is holding the drum is the pressed on fit of the drum over the tappered axle. The the axel nut just keeps it from working loose.

Make sure you use the type of puller shown in the picture and not the one that grabs the drum by it's edges. As this can damage the drum, and they are not making these drums anymore.

Posted on: 2007/12/2 22:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Boro and all, On really recalcitrant axle hubs you may be tempted to use some oxy-acetylene on the taper, whilst applying a reasonably high puller force. This expansion of the drum taper slightly ahead of the axle taper will achieve the desired result, but you must be very careful not to overheat the axle as it may change the temper of the axle and lead to a fracture in the future ( usually when doing over 60 mph, according to Murphy's law). If it is a "really stuck axle", talk to a few older auto-shop people to get an idea of the non-destructive techniques available. Best Regards, Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/12/3 3:36
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved