Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
43 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 42

Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Unusual packard?
Just popping in
Just popping in

gizzymark
See User information
Hello, I'm new to this forum and my friends call me gizzy.

I have stumbled upon a Packard in a barn and need to get some advice.

It's a 1954 Executive 2 Door hardtop with a V8 engine instead of a straight 8. The car looks 100% bone stock. It also has a push button auto trans and runs well. During my research, I found 56' Executives, but not 54's. There are 54's out there, but they are sedans or limo's and not 2 door hardtops.

How many 54' Executives were 2 door hard tops? When did they go from straight 8 to V8?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this marque, I usually work on Fords and Mercs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, -giz

Posted on: 2010/8/15 20:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Unusual packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A picture would be worthwhile here. A 56 Executive hardtop with V8 and PB would be very probable but in 54, only a long wheelbase sedan was called an Executive and it won't look anything like a 56. If it is in actuality a 54, then someone has done a whole lot of customizing and there should be some signs of that.

If the serial number on the door pillar starts 5677-XXXX, then it is a 56. A 54 will be 5426-XXXX.

Posted on: 2010/8/15 20:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Welcome Grizzy

The Executive hardtop was a 1956 only model and came only with the 352 cid V8. 1953-54 Executive sedans were long wheelbase Henny Patricians identical to the limos except without the divider glass between the front & rear.

'56 Execs are very desirable cars, they have the "Senior" (Patrician, Caribbean, 400) front end with the Clipper tail lights. If the title or registration says 1954 it is a typo.

Cheers,

John

Posted on: 2010/8/15 20:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Gizzy,
to PackardInfo.

A picture or two in the absence of the serial number would help to sort out what you've found.

And I invite you to include the '54 or '56, once identified, in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/8/16 2:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gizzymark
See User information
This car is for sale, saw it on the side of the road with a sign that said 54' and I talked to the owner for a bit. Our conversation was cut short because it started raining, and my Torino convert was top down and getting wet.

My first thought was is this a rare car? He said he had a dozen other cars in the barn, mostly Fords.

As he was opening the hood, my comment was "it has the big straight 8 in it, right?" He said no, it was a V8 and that he didn't know the size, saying it was about 300 something CI. Now I know this engine came out in 55' and there was no push button trans in 54'

After some thought and research, I figure this is a 56' Executive wearing a 54' front clip. He did not say this, but the tail end looks like a 56'

Is there any possibility it came from the factory this way? Hmmm...I don't think so.

I'm guessing the 54' front clip will bolt on a 56' This mix of 2 different years would surely have an impact on value. If I see it again, I'll have new questions for the seller and peek at the VIN.

Thanks, giz.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 16:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gizzymark
See User information
The tail end looks pretty much like this, but it's painted all black and I don't recall any side trim. It says "Executive" on the right hand side of the trunk.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.73 KB)
2958_4c69b61b94ed7.jpg 812X518 px

jpg  (59.73 KB)
2958_4c69b6439447d.jpg 812X518 px

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Too bad you do not have a picture of the front and the dash. That would tell the tale.

Of course the VIN too.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:11
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gizzymark
See User information
Craig,
The car is not on the side of the road anymore...it was either sold or moved back in the barn. It was out there for a few hours on Saturday only.

I'll try to get some pics if I see it again. Or, I'll knock on his door.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:37
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Get a picture of the plate on the driver-side door jam. That will tell all. I bet it's a '56 body.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 0:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved