Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

"Waking Sleeping Beauty" .... The Blog!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Here at long last, by popular demand (at least from Portlandon) is the blog about the resurrection of my 1955 Packard Patrician - 5582-5454. I meant to get started on this a lot sooner but I'd let so many things slide with the holidays, Packard search and all that I had to get caught up on everything else before getting started. I might also add that the warmer temps we're having in Portland help too.
To sum up what has happened to date; Portlandon turned me on to this '55 Packard Patrician that was for sale in Oregon City.
I went out to see it and though it hadn't run in 25 years the condition of the expensive parts (chrome, upholstery and paint) were such that I bought it on the spot. I wasn't really worried about the "not running" aspect as the engine turned and I believe that if it will turn, it will run.
The guy I bought it from bought it from two brothers in their 80's who lived together but were putting their house up for sale. They bought the car around 1980 from "Matthew's Memory Lane Motors" in Portland which deals in well preserved, low mileage originals or well restored collectible cars. They drove it until the mid 80's when it suddenly died on the freeway. They had it towed home and put it in their garage where it sat until 2008.
After getting it home and looking into it I found some really glaring issues. Each so bad, I am amazed that they got it on the freeway.
First Item was the ignition switch. The Starter operated in all key positions but "Off" and had other issues as well. Next, the Coil Ballast Resistor; I either passed current at full voltage or passed none at all. A call to J. D. at Max Merritt got me a new ignition switch and a new "Delco-Remy" Ballast Resistor that Ohm'ed out at the correct 1.6.
I installed those parts and found that at least the power windows worked. Then came the break in action.

Yesterday with warmer weather, I went back to the Packard. With some confidence in the electrical side, I decided to see the condition of the Fuel Tank. I was every bit as amazing as the Electrical side. I knocked on the underside of the fuel tank hoping to hear a nice mellow "Bong". What I heard was a dull, flat "Thunk". After removing the gas cap and sniffing (faint turpentine smell - not good) I stuck a length of Fuel line down the tube and pulled it back out. Embedded in the end of the hose was a kind of mossy, sawdust like substance in sort of a blackish, amber green. I also thought I heard a faint low menacing growl when the hose hit bottom. Anyway, the tank had to come out! After getting the tank out from under the car, I opened the top and removed the Sending Unit, or what was left of it - was a very corroded works up top with the arm sort of tapering off to nothing where the float should be. Taking a flashlight, I didn't see what growled at me but all along the bottom was about a quarter inch of "crap". I also notice that the outside of the tank had stains that looked like something had at one point seeped out of it. I'm going to try and clean this out as best I can to see if it's worth taking for professional cleaning and sealing. If it isn't I'm going to have to look for a new fuel tank. I haven't been able to find a supplier as of yet so does anyone know if/where they are available?

Posted on: 2011/1/26 16:57
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty" .... The Blog!
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Good to see your Project Blog up!

You need to have your tank boiled out.

Try Able Radiator in Milwaukie.

14511 Southeast River Road
Oak Grove, OR 97267-1108
(503) 652-2707

They are a small mom & pop place that has been around forever and don't overprice their work.

Also, new tanks aren't available. There have been long discussion here at PackardInfo about retrofitting a '57 Chevy gas tank. Try searching for it here, it is interesting information.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 17:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is no aftermarket exact replacement tanks I am aware of. All 51-6 will fit and are out there used. Believe that is what has been done by most needing a tank if the original couldn't be repaired. One shop makes a replacement out of stainless steel but very expensive and not proper looking -- but an option. Otherwise, probably not enough demand for repro companies unless someone wants to order a multitude or two.

One poster said a Chevy tank would fit and he is mostly right. Problem is anything for other cars always seems to have something not quite right for us--in that case, it was a tad long and the sender has to be on the side. Our senders won't work that way as is and GM senders won't work our gauges.

Otherwise, either the fill is in wrong spot or supply connection is. Several other tanks approximate the size and shape and am sure the differences could be be worked around--probably even the sender with some thought and work. Possibly that JC Whitney universal sender could be reworked to be on the side.

Without access to exact dimensions from old and new tanks though, kinda hard to find one via pictures only.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 17:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Portlandon & Howard.
I guess that explains why I couldn't find one on the web.
First thing tomorrow, I'll try rinsing out my tank (couldn't do it any harm) and then setting it in the (promised) sun to dry, maybe with a little help from a hair dryer.

I just came back in from checking the voltage at just before the Ballast Resistor and then after. Both were 12.48 volts - same as the battery. I'm admittedly not real good with electricity, but I thought the purpose of the Ballast Resistor was to knock the voltage down. Evidently I'm missing something.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 17:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You won't see much difference on either side to ground if there is not enough load or the points are open. Try bumping the engine a bit while the meter is connected. You should see the needle dip when the points close but as the coil saturates, it will most likely go back up. With engine running, believe it should be around 7-8.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you Howard ! ! ! !
Did as you suggested and it did as you foretold!
That is a real relief, I can tell you.
Thanks again -

Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Glad you started a blog. I look forward to watching your progress. Please don't forget to upload some pictures!

Posted on: 2011/1/26 20:52
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
51Packard wrote:Glad you started a blog. I look forward to watching your progress. Please don't forget to upload some pictures!
with everything Charles says, especially about pictures, they really make a difference.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 23:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
My thanks to 51Packard and Ozstatman along with Howard, Portlandon, and all. I'll work on adding some pictures and hopefully save "a 1000 words".

Posted on: 2011/1/27 0:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2011/1/27 10:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved