Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

image restoration... possible?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Many of the images and links that were once here on these ZIL/ZIS/Chaika threads were lost, and along with that, much of its' potential usefulness as a reference. Is it possible that a sticky with images of all of the various models of the Soviet made Packard-like cars might be created here? It would be a great resource.

On a similar note, I'd like to acquire, for my auto brochure collection, originals or sharp reproductions of Chaika and ZIL
factory brochures. Does anyone know of a source for these?

Posted on: 2011/1/4 9:16
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

Re: image restoration... desirable?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Is there interest in replacing the missing images of the Packard-clone Soviet cars? Most of them have been removed, making the threads, in the words of another member, a "plucked chicken", with references that go nowhere. The Chaika thread went from 38 to 20 pages and now contains very few images of any kind. IMO it would be worthwhile to restore the reference value of these threads by re-posting some images, from wherever they still exist, the chief raison d'etre for this website being a reference tool for Packard folks, is it not?... just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 10:29
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Actually, I'd like to see them back as well. There are only 4 in the photo album currently. Some of the departed ones had great detail shots on interiors and mechanicals.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 10:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

another German
See User information
I have dozens of them computer stored but for the most part thumbnails.

M. G.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 11:13
 Top  Print 

Re: image restoration... possible?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Actually if this site is a reference for Packard enthusists then just because a non Packard car is similar doesn't mean it should be part of the site.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 12:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
How would including such cars on this site be any different than PAC publishing articles on same?

Posted on: 2011/9/3 13:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I was replying to Randerson and his statement. I was not commenting on any other website, club or any one else.

"the chief raison d'etre for this website being a reference tool for Packard folks, is it not?... just my 2 cents."

Posted on: 1/6 10:29:19
Above is his quote, nothing about any Packard Club mentioned or commented on.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 18:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Joel -

As "Forum Ambassador", I felt compelled to reply to your comment:

Quote:
Actually if this site is a reference for Packard enthusists then just because a non Packard car is similar doesn't mean it should be part of the site.

...regardless of who it was directed at.

Your statement suggests a position that these cars don't belong at PackardInfo, though the "ZIS, ZIL, and other Packard Cousins!" forum was added, here, at the request of more than one person - followed by a folder of same name in the Photo Archive. Maybe, I'm reading too much into your comment, but I've already received questions about it, privately.

The reason I bring up PAC is that their homepage advises that club is:

Quote:
...dedicated to the enjoyment, maintenance, and accurate restoration and preservation of the products and history of The Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan..."

...which I believe echoes their official mission statement.

Yet, that club has published several articles regarding the ZIS/ZIL and Chaika over the years - in both their monthly newsletter and quarterly magazine, and under more the one editor. Though I haven't been a member of that club in several years, I don't recall a single negative "Letter to the Editor" about one of those pieces.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 10:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For my two cents, I rather enjoy information about the Soviet cars. To me, it's interesting how they can look or be so much alike in one place with an obvious heritage yet you can see some significant differences in other places or in their methods of operation or manufacture.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 10:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..."
If that old saying is true, then it was a tribute to Packard and should be acknowledged as such. I enjoy the Russian copies and also finally debunking the old story about the dies, etc. All in all, the Russian autos are intertwined with Packards and are a part of their lore. We could no more exclude them than the custom builders who based their designs on the car we most admire.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 10:46
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved