Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 125

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

garage equipment
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Does anyone have one of these "No Particular Brand Import" (NPBI) bumper jacks?????

How much have u used it and give us a report on it.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/2136949633.html

Posted on: 2011/1/8 10:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: garage equipment
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
That seems like an awfully large piece of equipment for only a 1.5 ton rating. "Tokyo Joe" hand tools are one thing, but this piece of equipment could compromise your safety. Be cautious.

Have you tried the guys over at the Garage Journal forum? I'm sure someone there has seen one and can give you a review.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/1/8 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Guys,

Don't take a chance with unknown or 'cheap' equipment, please.

Today the 10th, is the 7th anniversary of the death of my partner, who was killed when a cheap and improper jack collapsed, trapping her underneath.

EVERY DAY, I must work in that same garage, lying on the same floor, in the same place.

Think about that before you go out and buy a safety critical piece of equipment.

If an accident happens that could have been avoided, you will be condemmed to a life of regret. Take it from me, you don't want that....

Ciara, Ar dheis D? go raibh a hanam uasal.
Sl?n,

Pat.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 13:06
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
My 2 cents:

If safety is related buy the best you can afford.

Injury or death is not worth a few dollars saved.

Is the $15.00 dollar 2 ton jack below really a good deal while you have your 4500 lb. Packard up on the stands for some work?

Both of these are currently available on the WEB.

Regards,

Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (31.82 KB)
1584_4d2a012f8ba78.jpg 757X415 px

jpg  (27.06 KB)
1584_4d2a0138953e2.jpg 634X400 px

Posted on: 2011/1/9 13:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Quote:

32model901 wrote:
If safety is related buy the best you can afford.

Injury or death is not worth a few dollars saved.

Is the $15.00 dollar 2 ton jack below really a good deal while you have your 4500 lb. Packard up on the stands for some work?

Unfortunately, you can find that same, exact, $15 combo in your local hardware store for $135 with an American name on the top of the box. It still says "Made in China" on the bottom of the box though. You can't judge quality by price alone. Companies are more than happy to try to get the most money for the cheapest junk these days.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 15:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would recommend you buy jacks and stands that are way higher rated than you need. This will give that much more of a safety factor. I use a 3 ton floor jack, and 6 1/2 ton rated jack stands. Even with those, I always use a another "floating" jack-stand as a backup under the closest frame rail to when I am working. So if god forbid a jack stand slipped or failed, I have another jack stand to catch the falling load before my body does.

Perhaps over-kill, but I think it better than just plain kill.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 19:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thank u everyone. I have at least 8 jack stands. Good ones. My favorites are cut down differential housings, fixed height but fail safe from collapsing.

I'm needing an an EASIER lifting jack. I already have at least 3 floor jacks that have proven themselves over the last 10 to 40 years. I just need something easier to use like the one in the picture of the C'list ad. I used one of those (US MAde BRAND name) many years ago. IT would raise about 3 feet. REal ez. Just set the pad width and raise the car with air power. My comrpessor should handle it.

Useing a long frame Walker will rais the car very high. But it's a pain in the ass to position it. Sometimes raise and lower car as much as 10 times a day or in 2wo days. The "bumper" type air jack is a lot easier.

The problem is becoming that anything of good trusted brand name quality anymore is costing enormous prices. The el-cheapo stuff is often questionable. THere just does not seem to be anything anymore in a mid range price for utility service levels. Used equipment is worn out beyond rebuilding.

I've found that hte NPBI equipment is just fine in terms of structural integrety but any mechanical or moving parts are very weak or wear out real fast. I have a jib crane that mounts in the floor of a pic up. I have 2wo of them. Both are NPBI and strong enuf. The problem is that hte hand winch on them is very weak and wears out fast. Well maybe strong enuf if one uses it with in 60% of it's rating. The jibs rated at 1000 #. THey're really only good for about 500 pounds.

I guess i'll pass on the C'list post of the jack i listed above. As one person points out the 3K pound limit is a bit lite.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 22:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved