Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 79

Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hot & Cold Selling Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
There is to me, a very valuable lesson in the form of a 1956 Packard Patrician for sale on e-Bay. I first was tempted by this turquoise and white beauty when some one here mentioned it being on the Orange County CA Craigslist. That posting included 4 pictures of it sitting in rather high grass, tail up nose down, with white wheels and no wheel covers. The interior looked pretty good. It was not running but it was claimed it wouldn't take much to make it so. The price was $1,500 - FIRM!. I was really tempted but didn't. It sat like that on renewed postings for 5 weeks.
Yesterday, I noticed the car on e-Bay. The owner had it towed to a shop where it was placed in running order. It is claimed to do everything but stop. The brakes, you know.
It was also treated to a clean up, wheel covers attached and the current bidding is up to $3,100 on 13 bids. It looks really good.
It proves to me that if I were to sell one of my cars, I'd take the extra time to make sure it ran and at least give it a good detailing. How many times have I seen cars listed that look like hell, not washed, interiors filthy. You have to wonder - if they are "easy to get running" then why aren't you making it run?
If one of the bidders is here on the list - I hope you get it - it looks like a beauty. To me, it will be the one that got away.

Posted on: 2011/3/3 20:33
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Hot & Cold Selling Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
+1

Who in their right mind is going to pay much for a car that isn';t running? Harder to judge, harder to get home.

Specially puzzling when the needed repair is said to be minor.

Maybe we should develop codes for some of these situations.

NOCOMM Impossible to reach

WIFESELL Trying to show his wife he is working to sell it.

SMALLBUG Needs only a trifling repair to function perfectly

RARE Overpriced

REBUILT Once you get it to actually run it should....

REDUCED Still overpriced

Posted on: 2011/3/4 15:00
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
From Hemmings:

1954 Packard: 327 engine, automatic, PS, PB, air condining, excellent condition, very good providence, owned by the founder of the Packard club, excellent maintenance

It came from Rhode Island?

Posted on: 2011/3/4 15:13
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Would be nice if they'd tell you which model! Maybe a Cavalier (5472)? They are just 1 notch down from the Patrician and are very nice vehicles, though lacking the top-of-the-line elegance of fabrics and materials (and of course the 359 engine) of the Patricians. And quite limited production to boot.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

patgreen wrote:
+1

Who in their right mind is going to pay much for a car that isn';t running? Harder to judge, harder to get home.

Specially puzzling when the needed repair is said to be minor.

Maybe we should develop codes for some of these situations.

NOCOMM Impossible to reach

WIFESELL Trying to show his wife he is working to sell it.

SMALLBUG Needs only a trifling repair to function perfectly

RARE Overpriced

REBUILT Once you get it to actually run it should....

REDUCED Still overpriced

About an hour and a quarter left to go on the '56 and it's up to $4,101 - with paint missing on the roof and water stains on the upholstery! It is now running - it just won't STOP! Five weeks stuck at $1,500 when it didn't run. I'd guess the seller is going to get the mechanic's bill out and then some.
It does look good except for the top and they say the pushbutton transmission works.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 17:34
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved