Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Valve Guide Remove
Just popping in
Just popping in

lawrence
See User information
Would like information on the remove the valve guide on a 1937 115c six

Posted on: 2011/4/1 12:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Valve Guide Remove
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Done it many times. Simple, but not the most enjoyable job. Very often only the exhaust guides need replacement. First, measure the distance of the old ones from the top of the block down to the guide, intakes and exhausts may be different.

If the camshaft and lifters have been removed, make or buy a suitable drift, get a 4-lb (or so) sledge hammer and drive them down thru the lifter bores and out the bottom. If the cam and lifters are still in place, drive them down about half way until they are just above the lifter, and break the bottom portion off with a chisel (the break off very easily), then drive the remainder out the same way. No. 8 exhaust can be especially challenging because the curvature of the cowl can limit the swing of the hammer. If you can't remove it, an option is to ream it oversize to match an oversize stemmed (special order) valve, and regrind the valve seat after the guide has been reamed. In fact, for every guide you installed you should use a power seat refinisher to make sure the seat is concentric with the new guide bore.

To install, first clean the bores with something like a brass shotgun barrel cleaning brush or equivalent, and drive them in. You'll want a good, firm-fitting drift (K-D #815 if you can find or borrow one) that fits into the guide bore with just slight clearance and has a good shoulder to contact the top face of the guide. Drive to the proper depth. You may have to ream for final clearance to the stem (different clearance for inlet and exhaust), though with the last guides I bought from Egge that wasn't necessary. Freezing them first or packing in dry ice will make installation much easier.

I'd also suggest you read the instructions in the shop manual. This may also be helpful:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=862

Posted on: 2011/4/1 13:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I notice the 37 six operators and maintenance manual says the guides are taper bored and not to use a straight reamer to clean them. Are the valve stems tapered as well or is that just something done to prevent sticking or other issues and not needed any more or instructions for a different engine.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 13:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The valve stems are not tapered, and a replacement guide came along in 1938, along with guidance to modify the bore of the earlier style to prevent sticking. I recommend new guides made by Egge (and sold by Kanter's and others) but I'd still check the final fit either by "feel" or with a dial indicator to see if the guide needs to be reamed.

EDIT: See correction later in this thread about the source of Kanter's valve guides for this engine.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 13:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day lawrence,

to PackardInfo. See you've already received good advice from the knowledgeable, experienced and friendly Packard people here. I invite you to include your '37 115C in the Packard Owner Registry so all may enjoy your Packard with you.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 15:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Valve guides for the 37 six sold by Kanter Auto Products are sold only by Kanter, we are the source.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 20:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry for the misstatement, Fred, and thanks for correcting it - none of us want misinformation to stand uncorrected. Perhaps years back your guides came from Egge and that's what I was thinking of?

Posted on: 2011/4/1 22:13
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

lawrence
See User information
Owen, Thanks for the help. Larry

Posted on: 2011/4/1 23:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved