Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard in Southern Africa
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

southernpackard
See User information
Hi All

New member here, not an owner but a researcher (Packard as well as other makes of car in Africa (I am ex Africa myself)).

I wonder if any members have any info or photo's of Packards that have at somne stage in their lives, lived in Southern Africa. I have a database of around 100 Packards that are or have been in Southern Africa, my info however is a bit dated as it is based on rally programs, club members lists etc mostly from the mid 1990s or earlier. I am especially after details of cars that have since left the sunny shores of Africa, for instance the 1916 Twin Six that was in South Africa around 1983, chassis no either 84320 or 25828.

Does anyone know where the order books for Packard are kept? I am trying to find more on a 1923 143 tourer delivered to Lord Delamere (either in the UK or Kenya), this car is currently in South Africa and is possibly the earliest Packard still in Southern Africa.

Thanks in Advance

Wayne M. Kennerley
Wales

Posted on: 2008/2/4 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard in Southern Africa
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I've read just recently that interesting and valuable collector cars have been leaving SA because of the political climate.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 10:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

southernpackard
See User information
That and the fact that overseas buyers seem to pay a bit more than local collectors.

W.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 10:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
southernpackard -

Have you checked out the thread on the 1950 Standard 8 by africapackard? It's in the Project Blogs Forum.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Are u researching Indian motorcycles 1953 and earlier???

Posted on: 2008/2/4 20:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Wayne

Just got round to this "thread" - takes a bit of negotiating - and I see you are asking for details of S. African Packards. Mine is a 1948 22nd Series SIX Touring Sedan. You can see the car by going to my website www.packard22.co.uk. If you want any further details let me know.

Her name is Priscilla by the way !!!

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/8/26 13:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Wayne,
to PackardInfo.

One of our members here who hails from South Africa, is Barrie or "africapackard", the owner of a '50 Standard eight and he has a friend also in South Africa who has in the vicinity of 20 Packards. I'm sure Barry will see your post and respond but you can always PM him if you prefer.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 17:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Boys your on the right track...Ive been to South Africa 5 times. and know many of the packard guys down there..Yes I have also been to my buddy who has at least 20 30 packards sitting around in his back yard..from the mid 30's to 55

I also have a bud who has all the production figures of Packard South Africa for the 55 and 56 models which were shipped CKD to East London Assembly plant now the Mercedes plant.

I just returnd after having spent a month in S africa visiting my car buds..was at a show in George and there were 5 Packards there..I knew all the guys..there was a 41 120 48 limo, couple of 48 standards 6 cyc variet which were export only from the states and a 48 convertible. My buddy at one time had a 120 limo supposedly owned by Gerneral Jan Smuts. another bud now deseased had a 110 4 door deluxe. antoher has an unrestored 38 six. another a 1929 640 roadster, another a 1937 super victoria coupe RHD
another 726 another a 733 another37 120 convertible another 1931 120 convertible and the list goes on and on.

Heading back in Feb for another month..those boys like their cars, beers/whiskies and of course their Rugby and Cricket..lolol oh yeah..throw a pretty lady on the side. LOLO

ive heard rumors that a twin six teen era hand once been in S. Africa...trying to get info on it..If so I think I know who had it..in the 70's

oh yeah theres a 53 carribean down there too.

have a list of all dealers or distributors in S Africa for 1938

Posted on: 2009/8/26 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
in 2007 Packard buddy met me at Bloemfontein with his Dad's 1929 640 roadsster

Attach file:

jpg  (30.06 KB)
623_4a95e78509e8c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/8/26 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
it is an interesting fact regarding Packards and other American makes of cars especially in the 20's and 30's
The Afrikaner(Dutch) still had vivid memories of the Anglo Boer war in 1900's. Many would rather have been dead as opposed to being seen driving an English made car at the time. So many of them opted to drive cars other than English. The well to do Afrikaaner would perhaps drive Buick or Chrysler, Hudsons and Studebakers in additon to the Fords and Chevs. Plus they were more durable and reliable given the road conditions at the time. An Afrikaner of well to do means would opt to drive a Packard or Cadillac but never a Rolls or a Bentley or other Bristish car for that matter.

below another of my buds with his recently restored RHD 902 limo owned by an Afrikaaner farmer who bought it new in 1932 and drove it mainly just around the farm.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.60 KB)
623_4a95eb6c59274.jpg 1280X820 px

Posted on: 2009/8/26 21:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved