Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 83

Packard5687, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

48-49 engine painting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm bidding on a 48 Packard deluxe coupe sedan @ auction in about 2 hours and it's engine color is not correct. It's John Deere green. How hard is it to paint the engine block the correct color without removing it from the car? I work on my own cars but have never attempted something like painting the engine block.

Also, the car is about a true 90 point car. I'm thinking $10K is my max bid, am I being cheap?

Posted on: 2011/6/4 9:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 48-49 engine painting
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes, the block can be painted in place, but expect to remove a LOT of peripheral stuff, generator, starter, radiator, fan, oil pan, etc. etc.

I try to avoid placing value on unseen cars. The maximum amount you are willing to bid should probably depend on how much you want the car, and what you can comfortably afford. Only the bidding will tell you if someone else wants the car more than you do. $10,000.00 for a 90 point 2-door Deluxe Club Sedan may not be enough... but then again it's going to depend on who's bidding. The bathtub Packards appeal to a limited number of people (like me).

By all means... post the outcome (and a picture even if you don't get it).

Posted on: 2011/6/4 9:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
That sounds pretty involved removing all that stuff to paint the block. Not being experienced like many of you is it realistic for a novice?

Posted on: 2011/6/4 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If you take your time, read all the available literature, ask questions when in doubt... yes.

Edit: OR... heck, leave it green until you are comfortable with your ability to change it to gray. Only 1 in 10,000 folks at the typical cruise-in will have a clue that the color is wrong. Unless... you plan on having it judged at a Packard function... that's different.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 10:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Another benefit to removing all the equipment from the engine is that you will get to inspect it on the bench. This would be a good time to go through these items for any maintenance, repairs, replacement, or to at least clean and paint them. I am doing something like this on my 1955 Clipper. I have just started a project blog and will get into the work I did cleaning the engine compartment. You may want to look at this for your project. The work and results are most satisfying. When you get through you will know exactly what you have.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/4 10:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'm about as new to Packards as you can be, even simple ignition tuning gives me fits.

I was able to pull the motor, put all new gaskets on another motor, have the tranny professionally rebuilt, detail everything and blast/paint everything, and reinstall. I did this over the winter (before this, everything under the hood was a rust bucket) Just takes time and patience and a little imagination...you can do it!:

Attach file:

jpg  (201.89 KB)
1420_4dea5df607b7c.jpg 1200X896 px

jpg  (184.37 KB)
1420_4dea5dfd86d6e.jpg 1200X896 px

Posted on: 2011/6/4 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Beautiful Cort!

Posted on: 2011/6/4 12:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I did this as a total noob, and I have 10 thumbs. (before and after)

Attach file:

jpg  (196.35 KB)
1_4dea71ae75acf.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (140.11 KB)
1_4dea71c8dae1c.jpg 1600X950 px

Posted on: 2011/6/4 12:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Never mind, the auction was in Mt. and I was bidding on the phone. The auction mngr. said the bidding started at $18500. I then said I'm out because I didn't think it was worth that. I'm not sure he was being straight up with me. Oh well, there is always more Packards out there.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Thats exactly what my engine bay looked like, great job kev!

Thanks paul!

I don't think you're being cheap about the 18.5 price, couple months ago there was a super and a custom 22nd/23rd series on ebay, both with buy it nows of about 20-22K. They were 100 percent gorgeous and amazing all around.

Granted they were 4 doors, but still, i'd want any 22nd-23rd series to be perfect before i'm approaching 20k on it.

Like you said, there's more out there:

OD and WW radials!!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949-Packard-Coupe-same-family-since-new-TRADES-OFFERS-/290573371474?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43a785c852#ht_6533wt_1165

Also WW radials!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1948-PACKARD-DELUXE-8-SEDAN-62K-MILES-AMAZING-ORIGINAL-/220792089152?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33683bea40#ht_500wt_1182

And those cars aren't starting at 18.5. You'll find a great one for a price you're willing to pay, i'd bet (your) money on it

Posted on: 2011/6/4 15:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved