Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 78

Gary Kulp, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'58 Packard Hawk Up For Sale.......Again
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Talk about frustrating.

The PH at the link below was for sale on Ebay in July for $29,900. I'd spoken with the owner and he was willing to let it go for $26,600. Sight unseen and unrestored I thought that was kind of high and I hesitated. Then I got word of another - a basket case which will qualify me as a professional mig welder by the time I get done with it, but for a whole lot less money.

Since my brother was out here at the time picking up some wings for one of his vintage planes, I asked him to stop in to look at the other one on his way back to South Carolina. According to my younger brother the basket case is rough as a corncob and the photos bore that out, so I'm still undecided whether I'll pull the trigger on it.

Anyway, while I waited to get word back from my brother the one on Ebay was sold. Now an auctioneer in Florida is flipping it for just about double the minimum amount the former owner was willing to take. Aargh!!!

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/packard/hawk/1277741.html
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Posted on: 2011/8/10 12:28
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Re: '58 Packard Hawk Up For Sale.......Again
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Now an auctioneer in Florida is flipping it for just about double the minimum amount the former owner was willing to take.
Maybe yes, maybe no. The market will tell.

I've seen several cars at auction for years before they sold. The typical auction house sells hundreds of cars each year. If a "no reserve" car is not bringing what they think it is worth, sometimes they'll buy it themselves.

The auction house doesn't have to pay their own fees for running it across the block and have the ability to haul it to a dozen auctions for only the cost of transportation. If it sells for more money at the next auction, they do well. If they have to haul it up and down the country too many times, they don't.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/8/24 12:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Hi,

Well, it won't be me buying it. First thing in the morning I'm doing a bank-to-bank transfer and sometime next week P.H. #58LS-1151 will be off-loaded in Seattle where I'll begin what I estimate will be at least a two to three year restoration project.

It's only taken half a century but I finally got my Hawk.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Posted on: 2011/8/25 1:04
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Mike, be sure to contact Studebakers International in Indiana. They have a lot of parts for your new car.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 6:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Hi,

Thanks for the tip. It's much appreciated.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

Posted on: 2011/8/25 10:24
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Congratulations on acquiring your car. Make sure to start a blog and keep us posted of your progress.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 12:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved