Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trans/OD install, 48 Custom
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Guys,
I am getting ready to put the trans/od back into my 1948 Custom.
I remember what fun it was getting it out and am looking for some advice on the simplest way to get it back in.

It looks like I should tilt the engine down in back far enough so that the rear of the o/d clears the bottom of the cross member, slide the trans in place, bolt it up then raise it back up. Am I on the right track in thinking that lowering the engine is the way to go?

I have a good trans. jack and a friend coming over to help out. I don't do this kind of thing alone anymore.

Any of you who have done this will know what I am faced with, so I would appreciate any advice and tips that you may have to make this as simple as possible.

Thanking you in advance,
John

Posted on: 2011/8/3 10:19
 Top  Print 

Re: Trans/OD install, 48 Custom
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I replaced the clutch in my '47 Super Clipper last year and can appreciate the amount of work installing the transmission entails. I assume you are doing this while the car is up on jack stands and not a hoist. I didn't drop the engine very far as I didn't want to damage the front mounts. I had a small transmission jack to assist me as I did this myself. You will need a pilot shaft to ensure the clutch plate is aligned if you removed the clutch. I have a plastic one I can mail you if you need it.
I began by tilting the front of the trans up and then lifted the entire trans until the input shaft was up throgh the throw out bearing and into the pressure plate opening. I then used a small floor jack I had chained to the back of the trans jack to lift the rear of the trans while pushing the trans forward so the input shaft continued further into the clutch pressure plate hole . Once the rear of the trans (O/D in our case) cleared the crossmember I was able to align the trans with the bell housing and push the trans forward so the input shaft aligned with the spines of the clutch disc. It took a lot of wiggling to get everything to line up but eventually I heard that satisfying "clunk" when metal met metal. With two people I suggest that you remove the inspection plate in the floor and perhaps have you assistant pull the trans up from above using a tow strap or chain. The critical thing I found was that the input shaft had to be entered into the clutch plate before beginning to lift the back of the trans or it won't clear the crossmember. I hope this is of asistance. I never want to do that job again alone!

Posted on: 2011/8/3 12:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Dave,
Thanks for the reply, it sounds like I am on the right track in tilting the engine down.

The old Packard mechanics sure earned their money on trans and clutch jobs.

Thanks, John

Posted on: 2011/8/4 14:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recall one of the regular posters on this site had to place some spacer blocks against the clutch to get the transmission re-installed on his 356 powered Packard with overdrive. This would be valuable information for snopac and others as it is not a regular step in most clutch replacement jobs.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/4 16:19
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, I recall that I had to compress the pressure plate springs and place blocks on the arms in order to mount the plate to the flywheel but this wasn't necessary to reinstall the transmission as I recall but I could be wrong. I am getting very forgetful.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, I had forgotten it was you, but knew it was one of the regulars that post here. Now I recall the difficulties you described having problems getting the clutch installed. I hope I never have to do that job. Thanks.

(0{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/5 13:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Dave, I had forgotten it was you, but knew it was one of the regulars that post here. Now I recall the difficulties you described having problems getting the clutch installed. I hope I never have to do that job. Thanks.

(0{}o)

John, Now that I know how to do it on my back I can come down to Texas and tell you what to do while I watch you do it.

Posted on: 2011/8/5 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
When I rebuilt my 1951 288 engine with the 3 speed o/d, I had a heck of a time trying to get the transmission lined up with the engine shaft. I ended up taking the transmission out, then hanging the engine from the engine hoist by an adjustable screw type hanger, then putting the transmission on a roller pan. Once we had everything on the floor, it was very easy to line up and attach. I cut the top brace out of the radiator bracket earlier when I removed the engine and it made it fairly easy to tilt the engine back and slip the entire setup in. Then I just welded the brace back in, and you can't see the seam after grinding and painting. Saved lots of cussing and sweat!

Posted on: 2011/8/5 21:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Transmission jack or not, that baby is heavy and some younger muscle is needed. When I reinstalled my Clipper unit with OD, it literally took two men and two teen boys to lift and align it into place. Opening the inspection door is essential, not only for viewing it, but also for light and another lifting point option. We needed to "stretch" the hole in the frame X a bit to get it in. GOOD LUCK (you'll need it!)....

Posted on: 2011/8/7 7:22
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear snopack:

The last one of these I did (on a lift) I backed the tailshaft housing into the X-member the came forward to enter the bell housing. Of course the OD solenoid was out.

The wooden block thing is listed somewhere in the Packard manual under Pressure Plate Removal and applies to Custom 8 only. For exact alignment I have pilot tools turned out on a lathe. It's less wasteful than ripping apart a trans for a spare input shaft.

The big problem is not distorting the disc so I recommend that you try to rent a floor type transmission jack so that you don't risk hanging the trans by the clutch disc.

Good luck and good to know you have a friend helping you.

Posted on: 2011/8/7 7:48
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved