Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Trunks? WEISMAN LUGGAGE MFG. CORP???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I'm in process of buying a 39 Super 8 and have an opportunity to get this trunk. I'm the first to admit that I am clueless about the old Packard accessories and trunks: that is why I love and rely on this Forum so much. I hope to find out if this particular trunk would be appropriate to the year and model (39 Super 8) I'll be restoring. The car does not have a luggage rack (support?) at this time so I'll have to get one later but I do find that I do like the looks. This is the information that has been provided to me:

"This Packard Trunk is different than the one on my 1930 Phaeton.
It measures 33 " side-to-side, 20-1/4 " front-to-back, 20-1/2 " tall.
The rear-most 6 inches of the top is a flip-up lid on a "piano-hinge" with latches on the rear (no keys, but unlocked).
When the lid opens, you can open a latch on each side-wall of the trunk, and the rear-upright panel flips 180 degrees downward, also on a piano hinge.
The outside of the flip-lid has an metal oval tag riveted toward the right top side with the Packard name in "Packard" script, and the wording "Packard Motor Company Detroit" with a blue-painted background.
Inside of the top flip-lid is a larger riveted metal oval tag. The upper part of the oval says"WEISMAN LUGGAGE MFG. CORP." The center part of the oval says " QUEEN QUALITY LUGGAGE" The bottom of the oval says " SYRACUSE, N.Y. U.S.A.

There are two brackets on each side of the trunk where it appears that they each would surround a rod to hold the trunk in place.
The covering , minimally torn on the right side, is in fair condition. The interior has a fabric covering which is coming loose from the top interior surface.
There is a "nickel-sized" hole in the lower right rear lid.

This appears to be a larger, rare sized Packard Trunk. It is probably worth in the range of $475.00 , and I would like to see it go to a good home. I'm open to reasonable offers."

If anyone is familiar with this brand of trunk I'd appreciate any information you can provide me with to help me in my decision. I want the car to be true to the year and to the type of accessory that a Packard dealer would have installed.

Thanks to anyone who can help and to all who read this from a novice to the pre-war Packard era.

Gene

Posted on: 2011/10/2 12:03
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved