Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

J-Dreamer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

halogen headlights
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Has anyone use the 6 volt halogen headlights on their Packards? I'm debating buying a set for improved visability at night, but am a bit concerned about if the old wiring will handle the different lights.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 21:18
 Top  Print   

Re: halogen headlights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave, are you asking about sealed beam units, or bulb & reflector lamps? Not that it makes much difference, just curious.

Knowing the current requirements of the bulbs or beams and knowing the wire size should give you the answer. The problem if there is one will more likely be in the capacity of the headlight switch itself, and to protect it you might consider running the lights thru a relay,

That said, I know of many, many 6-volt Packards running around with original or original spec. wiring, switches and halogen tail and headlamps - none of them that I know of has ever reported a problem. If you went that route, at least you should make sure you have nice, clean connections.

PS - you might consider discussing this will Bill Hirsch's son (Eric), he's probably the major supplier of halogen bulbs for older cars.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The sealed beam units like the original bulb. I'll give Hirsch a call. thanks.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I was needing new headlight bulbs for my 1955 Clipper, but was not able to find any of the original type at the local parts houses. I ended up buying a set of halogen bulbs at NAPA. I was reluctant to do this as I had heard about additional current draw and the need for a relay or relays. The NAPA counterman checked the specs on the halogens as compared to the original type and we found out that the halogen bulb draws the same current on one of it filaments (I can't remember which one) as the original, and a bit less than the original on the other filament. This is for the round 7" 12-volt bulb H6024. Don't know if this is true for the 6-volt halogen bulbs.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/12/1 18:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It is often difficult to find amperage ratings on bulbs of modern manufacture. Usualy watts are given now along with voltage and some spurious spec such as lumens.

However, according to electrical theory:
Amperage = watts/volts.

So one should be able to find watts on the package or bulb itself. Devide it by theknown voltage. Amps obtain.

e.g. 45 watt Halogen for 12v application:
approxamately 4 amps = 45 watts/12volts.

However, the PMCC service manual indicates oem headlites at 45 watts. SO the 45 watt halogen should draw no more current than oem headlites.

No???

Posted on: 2011/12/1 19:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
But i'm not sure why we are talking halogens in 2011. Why not Xenon head lites????

Posted on: 2011/12/1 19:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For those seeking 6v halogen mite try some of the vintage motorcycle suppliers for Indian and HD. The 56 Packard sealed beam fits perfectly on my 1948 Chief headlite shell as does the 6 volt sealed beam. Motorcycle suppliers of 6v halogen will probably charge out the ass for the halogen 6volts tho. But i don;t really know relative to price since i never bought any 6v halogens.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 20:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
6-volt sealed beam hi/lo beam headlamps are available from NAPA in both standard (tungsten) and halogen types. Check their pages for LMP 6006 and LMP H6006. For comparison, the standard lamps are typically about 27,000 candlepower.

PS - just remember that more candlepower but with a different lamp type doesn't necessarily translate into a higher power requirement.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I tested using a Simpson test lab quality ammeter, a rectangular Sylvania halogen for 88 ranger pick up truck:

Grounded perpindicular terminal:
One parrallel terminal tested 2.5 amps.
The other parallel terminal tested 3.0.

OPEN perpindicular terminal and tested across BOTH parallel terminals at 5.5 amps.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Stopped at AZO yesterday. Checked their 7" round headlites:

Sylvania H6024. From package label: 12v/65/55 watt. Avaialable in 2wo different models. Silverstar and Extravision $26 and $16 respectively. No indication of Halogen.

65w/12v = 5.4 amps. 55w/12v = 4.6 amps.

Posted on: 2011/12/16 22:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved