Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I have not failed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
― Thomas A. Edison

So, anybody care to know 500 ways not to make an A-pillar for a 526?

I started building the pillar a while ago, and all told have roughly 30 hours into the design/engineering of a new one. Since my original wood is lost to history, I can only use the shell steel to remake the pieces. My original idea was to make the entire pillar out of one piece of ash. After much work, and a large scrap pile. I had a piece about 75-80% of what I wanted. Trouble is, the other 20% was just not going to happen. Yesterday, I turned the last piece into shapely firewood, and started over.

New approach: I am now using pine to prototype the pieces, (cheap and very soft). I am also breaking the pillar down into logical pieces. Between proper joinery, and modern glues, my new pieces will be as structually sound as original.

The result, after about 4 hours, (and another large scrap pile) I have a piece that is MUCH better than what I was trying to justify using before. It is already quite rigid, even with only the pine.

Now, back to the fray!

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:43
 Top  Print   

Re: I have not failed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Have you asked the Studebaker National Museum archive collection, to see if they have a blueprint of your part?

http://studebakermuseum.org/p/archives-and-education/archive-collections

Posted on: 2012/1/19 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
blueprint really wouldn't help. Although I do have a basic drawing from AACA. Hence, the design part of the comment. Basically, I am reverse engneering what they did. In many cases, I can figure out how they made it, but is not workable for a non assembly line reuild. I don't have the jiggs for assembly and fabrication. I do have the steel covers.

It's like building a foot, given a shoe, (albeit a shoe that is split in 3 or four pieces).

Posted on: 2012/1/20 7:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
This may be a silly thought, but could you line the shells with something like plastic and pour a plaster cast of the shell? You could then use the cast to transfer measurements directly onto the hardwood. Or mayby line with saran wrap and fill the shell with modeling clay...
John

Posted on: 2012/1/20 10:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
I'm guessing that you want this in order to have a fabricator make a door post from scratch. What if you were to talk to a machine shop that has CNC fabrication cabability? If a shop has the right equipment, knows how many pieces need to be stamped and welded together, and has all of the measurements, they can input the numbers into the equipment and then stand back as the equipment can cut a die set out of solid stock. Once you've got the die set(s), you can start looking for a firm that can stamp the pillar.

It wouldn't be cheap to do; but if there would be a market for that pillar among Packard enthusiasts perhaps you could eventually recoup the cost of having the die set designed and made by manufacturing door pillars and selling them to Packard fans.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 14:10
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
The finished piece will be wood, and each car was hand fit. No method of automatation would match the original for cars made months apart by different crews. My method is proving quite successful thus far.

I was celebrating my "failures" not complaining, it is all part of the process. I now know a great deal more about my car's construction than most.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Normal procedure for producing wood framed bodies went like this. Working from blueprints or drawings the carpenters made all the pieces and fitted them together. When the frame was approved for production the frame was dismantled, all parts varnished and numbered with indelible ink. These parts were used as patterns and stored.

All frames would be identical at least, as close as they could get them. This was for bodies made in batches of 25, 50 or 100 and for mass produced bodies made in the thousands.

Unless yours was a one off the plans or blueprints should be very close to what was there originally.

The original parts were made on power equipment but nothing more sophisticated than what you might have at home in your garage. Table saw, band saw, and router.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
The only time you have a failure is when you don't learn from it.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 22:54
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved