Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

oil bath air cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I found a dirty, but decent condition Senior series oil bath air cleaner for $3 in the local junk yard. This is the "over the engine" type. I sandblasted it yesterday, and found that the bottom on the cleaner, which holds the oil, is made of copper. And much like an old radiator, it had some pitting in the bottom. After soldering about six patches made from flatted out copper tubing, the bottom is now capable of holding oil. Twenty-twenty hindsight, I wish I had just plugged the holes with JB Weld. That would have been easier, faster, and neater. Anyway, the question is how is the unit held up? I assume that there is some sort of bracket from the side or the block to hold it up. Anyone out there with a photo of what it's supposed to look like? My 51 200 presently is using the round dry filter type air cleaner. thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/5 22:29
 Top  Print 

Re: oil bath air cleaner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Bracket from side of the block and supports the round part of the air cleaner by being shaped like a "fork" and going under the head of the bolt that goes through the aircleaner. When you tighten the wingnut, it pulls the head tight against the bracket. I made one out of the bracket that used to hold my 2bbl aircleaner and ran down to a head stud nut.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 22:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - that helps!

Posted on: 2012/2/5 22:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's the 54 version. 51 was same basic construction but IIRC, it was taller between block and bottom of cleaner and horizontal part was shorter. May have had a slight outward angle as well. The 54 cleaners were different and shorter. There is a picture of an engine in the parts manual with a cleaner & bracket. That may help give an idea on yours but is of an earlier unit.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.12 KB)
209_4f2f52ed57150.jpg 346X270 px

Posted on: 2012/2/5 23:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you want to convert it to a paper filter use:
Purolator A30057. Thank John Lawrence. It eliminates spilling oil everytime you open up the filter.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 8:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Thanks for that info about the paper element.

I googled image searched that number and on the first page was this thread:

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=compact&order=ASC&topic_id=4492&forum=2

Way to go with indexing kevin!

Posted on: 2012/2/6 8:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
David, your comment that the bottom portion of your oil bath filter was made of copper really surprised me. Are you certain? Every one I've seen, and that's a lot of them, were steel though the mesh element was copper. Maybe someone copper plated it? Have you checked it with a magnet?

Posted on: 2012/2/6 9:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I have one I'm in the process of stripping in the garage right now... the lower part that contains the oil does appear to be either copper or copper plated.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 10:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hmmm... interesting. I await the results of a magnet test.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 10:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Results of magnet test: copper over steel. It's a very light plating. Photo later.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 10:17
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved