Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

doc's 1951 200
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
so im on day # 2 and i for got to take before pic of the interior. well so far i have gutted the interior and began sanding her down to bear metal. any one gotsome helpfull advice on how to strip all that tar? and what to use to replace that tar stuff.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.23 KB)
4416_4f5d4b4101674.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/11 20:03
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print 

Re: doc's 1951 200
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As to stripping, I used a heat gun and a putty knife for stuff I removed. Tedious and time consuming--particularly the undercoat if that was applied. Maybe others have a better idea.

Packard used what they called an "asphaltic based material" to help deaden the sheetmetal drumming. If in several -maybe a half dozen- smallish patches strategically placed, believe that's what you are speaking of. There are also patches in the doors and roof. If it is widespread then probably something a previous owner has installed.

To replace, some of the modern acoustic materials such as Dynamat or similar would probably work better anyway. If you are going to add AC then maybe some of the combo heat and sound materials. Doubt you will find any custom made kits like those for more popular cars such as Quietride makes but Summit, Jegs and others sell universal cut to size sheets. For sound, doesn't need to be wall to wall. Most of the Dynamat pieces are relatively small (and expensive). If for combo sound and insulation, then those sheets are fairly large and also expensive. Several have used modern foil type insulation available at the home center with good results--but doesn't do much for sound.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 20:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
When my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas I said half-kidding "Dynamat for the Clipper" well that's what I got. She bought it from Amazon.com because they offered FREE shipping.. not a bad way to get it. shipping is a consideration when ordering the stuff because it is VERY heavy. I haven't applied it yet but that will be after I finish stripping out the old sound deadening ..heat gun and scraper seem the way to go..as far as I know.. Thanks for sharing your project with us!

Posted on: 2012/3/11 21:02
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
Yeah those pieces I took out with a 6 buck painters tool from home depo wish I had the heat gun.... Got bilters from chipping that stuff out. The tar that I'm talking about is at the seams of the floor pans and welds.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 23:00
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That is seam sealer. You can remove that with a heat gun and a screw driver. Just be just to replace it with new sealer if you remove it.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 0:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
alright so about 50% done with the interior(sanding wise needs 2 new floor pans). So i got her started would you guys recommend a 12 volt convertion?

Attach file:

jpg  (97.73 KB)
4416_4f5fe0923c8f2.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (101.60 KB)
4416_4f5fe0a95c47b.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (106.14 KB)
4416_4f5fe0b9712f5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/3/13 19:05
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Doc gonzo
See User information
So I need to get a key made for the ignition, had one quote so far of $125 is that about right or am I over paying?

Posted on: 2012/3/14 18:44
Packard on a budget
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Nice floors! What's with the little fan?

That price for a key sounds pretty high... more like the cost of a new car key with a computer chip.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 20:16
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
The fan on the floor is a heater blower for people in the back seat area..

Posted on: 2012/3/14 20:19
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Doc,
$125!? That sounds too pricey. I had a locksmith make me a key from the glove box cylinder. He was a friend, so it was done for free. But, that being said, if it was all that expensive, he would have charged me something. The only downer is the key appears to be a mailbox key. Yet, there is a positive to that. If you ever lose it, people won't suspect it goes to a Packard. And another thing; if you get it copied from the glove box cylinder, in order to use it with the ignition, you will have to pull it out one pin, that also goes for the door locks. Works, "As is", with trunk and glove box.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/3/14 21:34
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved