Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 68

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 18 »

1948 Super Eight Resurrection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I'm in the first stages of getting the 1948 Super Eight running so I can move it to my shop, hopefully without a tow. The first order of business was to buy a battery from NAPA, and see how it turns over. Fortunately, it spins very well! Hasn't been driven since 1985, but the owner oiled up the cylinders before putting it away in his barn. It fires when fuel is introduced directly into the carb, and sounds eager to run again.

The next step was to see why the fuel wasn't getting where it was supposed to go. The obvious reason was the tank, which had that dadgum rotten gas/varnish smell coming from it. I tried disconnecting the fuel line from the pump and blowing compressed air into it, to no avail. I then went back to the tank and introduced some compressed air into the filler tube, which resulted in a barf of rotten gas back all over my jeans. Boy, that smell is hard to forget, as it follows you everywhere the rest of the day!

Bonus! Found the build sheet between the filler and vent tubes. It just about disintegrated in my hands. See attached photo.

Next step: tank draining and removal.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.96 KB)
4371_4f4f73ab58418.jpg 1000X279 px

Posted on: 2012/3/1 8:04
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Super Eight Resurrection
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Joseph,
for taking the time to do this Blog on your Packards resurrection and great that you found the build slip relic for your car. Please post plenty of pic's as you progress.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 15:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Will do. Much more to come!
Thanks for the encouragement.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 18:42
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
The latest progress: I drained and dropped tank, and removed the fuel gauge sending unit. There's about a half inch of rust and varnish in the bottom of the tank, and the sending unit is covered with about 1/16" of dry rust. The pickup tube is completely clogged.

I fashioned a plate out of sheet styrene plastic, and using the sending unit as a guide, made a new cork gasket. With the hole blocked off, I then proceeded to carefully rinse out the tank with some mineral spirits. I then flushed it with water, and added about a quart of muriatic acid (approx. 1:1), put in a chain, and wearing an apron, gloves and goggles, sloshed the tank back and forth in all directions to break the rust loose. Then I rinsed it by sticking the garden hose down the filler tube and let it run for about an hour. This process I repeated again, and eventually I could see bare metal on the bottom of the tank.

The pickup tube was still plugged up, and with a coat hanger, I couldn't get past the crook in the tube, so I took a small syringe and introduced some carb cleaner (the kind you soak your parts in) into the tube. After more wrangling with the coat hanger, and the addition of compressed air, the plug in the tube finally broke loose. I then rinsed out the tank one more time, dried it and put about a quart of Ospho in it, sloshed it all around and let it sit overnight.

The next day, I drained the remainder of the Ospho out, dried the tank, and prepared to reinstall it. The Ospho hardened any leftover rust, and neutralized it. I didn't feel the need to coat the inside of the tank since there were no leaks. after cleaning the sending unit in carb cleaner, I noticed the float had liquid in it so I drilled two small holes, one at each end so I could blow it out with compressed air much like you would blow out an egg. after rinsing it out with acetone, I introduced some water with a little bit of dishwashing liquid and blew into it again, revealing bubbles coming out all around the center where the wire hanger attached to it. I then dried it out, soldered it up, and tested it again with the soapy water before soldering up the two holes I drilled. I tested it with an ohm meter, and it appeared to work so I then reinstalled it in the tank with the cork gasket I made earlier.

I cut 24" long strips of 1/16" neoprene to replace the cardboard that was on the top and the narrower ones on the bottom where the straps were, glued them to the tank, and reinstalled it.

Next item: hooking it up and testing the fuel pump!

Posted on: 2012/3/1 22:00
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I am excited to report that the fuel pump works just fine! After installing the tank and adding a few gallons of 100 octane low lead aircraft fuel, I spun the engine with the fuel line removed from the carb and purged the lines of the remaining bad gas. But now, the carb refuses to function as it was intended, so off it comes. The main problem with these old carbs other than varnish is the dried out accelerator pump leather (see photo).

Ordered and received in three days a rebuild kit from Mike's Carburetor Parts in Rochester, WA (good town for carbs, except this is a Carter). Nice kit, albeit a little pricey but the service and quality made up for it.

Carb cleaned and reassembled. Back on car. Put about a teaspoon of gas directly in the throat, and the Packard fired right up just like it had been driven daily for the last 27 years! I'm starting to really appreciate the engineering and quality of these old Packard. It idles smooth and quiet, revs eagerly, and in general, just sounds great.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.27 KB)
4371_4f52ecbee2b52.jpg 627X800 px

jpg  (24.09 KB)
4371_4f52ecd53f99c.jpg 800X595 px

jpg  (40.12 KB)
4371_4f52eced4f74c.jpg 800X652 px

jpg  (29.72 KB)
4371_4f52ed086fb45.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (50.50 KB)
4371_4f52ed1bbd0a5.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/3/3 23:19
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Artistic representation of my 22nd series.

Attach file:

jpg  (82.25 KB)
4371_4f52ee20a43e8.jpg 934X745 px

Posted on: 2012/3/3 23:23
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well done on solving your fuel system problems! My compliments. I'm sure that I'll be re-building the carburetor on my '55 Patrician so I'm quite interested in your experience in re-building yours. How difficult was it to rebuild and how long did it take you to complete the job?

Posted on: 2012/3/3 23:36
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Well, the rebuild was pretty straightforward. After ordering the kit from Mike's Carburetor Parts in Rochester, WA, I spent about 45-60 minutes disassembling and photographing the process. Be sure to make notes too. I counted the turns on the idle air adjustment screws before removal, and noted the jet size numbers for each barrel- they were the same in each barrel on this Carter WD-O, so it didn't matter.

It's a good idea to get the kit first so you can examine the parts in the kit before you tear into the carb- that way you will know which parts you have to replace and to note the parts you have to be careful to save for re-use. Have a good look at the schematic diagram too.

I used the carb cleaner that comes in a gallon can with the basket included. You may have to do larger parts separately. Give them a good soak- the time will depend on the amount of gunk present. You may have to do some more than once. Get a used toothbrush ready, wear nitrile gloves and have compressed air available for the drying process. Soak, brush, and rinse with a strong spray of water. Blow all passages completely dry. Be careful not to lose any small parts down the drain when you rinse. If you re-soak any parts, be sure you get ALL of the water out or you will ruin your parts cleaner as water neutralizes the solution. Don't forget to dry the basket too before re-use.

After everything is clean, I lay out all of the parts on a clean white surface, and group them according to where they go. Good organization always helps.

I had to trim a couple of places on the gaskets to get them to fit. Nothing major. The only problem I encountered was with the reassembly of the throttle body to the main float casting- I simply neglected to examine the gasket first. It wouldn't go together tightly, and after looking again I noted the old gasket was two stapled together. The ones in the kit were separate, and once I put both gaskets together, it went together fine.

Make note of all assembly screw lengths so you will have the proper ones in the correct locations. I wire brushed the rust off the heads of mine for a cleaner appearance.

That's about all i can remember for now. I hope this helps!

Attach file:

jpg  (30.13 KB)
4371_4f5303f16d9ed.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2012/3/4 0:56
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, Good systematic trouble shooting and repairing of the fuel system. A classic approach to getting a fully functional system.

Your carburetor overhaul narrative reminded me of a procedure we used to use. After soaking the parts in the strong and caustic cleaner, we would dunk them in water to kill the chemical action then thoroughly blow them with compressed air, paying special attention to the various fuel and vacuum passageways. Keeping the small parts together is important.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/3/5 10:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks, JW!

Posted on: 2012/3/6 21:40
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved