Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cooling System Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I just dropped off the Radiator at the shop for boiling and a little repair. In the meantime I want to address a couple of things.

First: What's the best way to flush the block?

Second: The Temp gauge isn't working. Is there a way to test wether it's the sending unit or the gauge itself? If it needs replacing, anybody have a part number?

Third: When refilling the coolant, is the old 50/50 mix still the best? Any preference on brands? What about that orange stuff that's supposed to last 100,000 miles?

Posted on: 2008/4/10 17:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Cooling System Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
For flushing the block I like to use Borden's #7 flush--I don't know if they make it any more. It was a two-part podwer that you added to a dry system, top off with water and run the engine till it's good and hot, then drain, add the neutralizer, fill back up (wait a while so you don't crack anything) then run that through and dump it.
For old cars I still like a 50/50 mix of good quality green antifreeze and water. That is proven to give the best transfer heat to the radiator. The orange stuff is Dex cool and it is for engines where iron and aluminum are mated together. I wouldn't want any antifreeze in an old car for more than 5 years, a new car can get 100,000 miles in 4-5 years (and still be pretty tight!), a Packard might take two generations to rack up those kind of miles.
Too bad you didn't flush the engine while you had the dirty old radiator--if you do it after you put the cleaned up core back in you might risk mucking it up.
There are methods where you just feed a garden hose and let it dump out.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 20:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
Too bad you didn't flush the engine while you had the dirty old radiator--if you do it after you put the cleaned up core back in you might risk mucking it up.
There are methods where you just feed a garden hose and let it dump out.

Yeah, that would have been better I guess. I think I'll end up doing the garden hose bit.

Any advise on the temp sensor?

Posted on: 2008/4/10 20:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The approved way was to use spare fuel sender to go thru the range. Probably not having one of those, you can BRIEFLY--not more than a few seconds--touch the wire coming from temp sender to ground. The gauge should start moving toward hot, and as soon as it does unground it. If you can find a resistor of about 40-50 ohms, insert that to ground in place of sender and reading should be around midpoint. If unable to find resistor, with the brief grounding if gauge moves, at least you know it is probably good.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Ozstatman had posted a way of flushing an engine that he thought worked quite well. If it wasn't Ozstatman, it was one of those Aussies - you know they all look alike. The method seemed like it added a good bit of pressure and with the radiator out of the loop you can backflush it too. Just remember to remove the thermostat.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Good tip on grounding the sensor wire to check the guage. I'll be sure to keep it brief.

Randy- I'll do a search for Oz's posts on flushing the cooling system. Those tricky Aussies have all the best tips.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 22:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day all,

Can't claim the credit, but here's a link to Peter Packard's post about the flushing procedure.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=381&forum=4

And a link to my post about the trip to Canberra where Peter performed the procedure on my '38.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=450&forum=4

Posted on: 2008/4/10 22:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Oz,

Are you always logged into this board? Good to know all I have to do is say your name and you'll appear! I'm frequently in need of help, plus my wife says I smell funny. That last part will be covered on a different thread.

Thanks for the links mate!

Posted on: 2008/4/10 23:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Keegan,

No, I'm not always logged on, just today had to spend time waiting for the cable guy to come.

And speaking of smelling funny, my wife orders me to the pool or shower just about every time I come home from the workshop! There's a lot of dirt, grease and grime usually but she also complains about the smell!

Posted on: 2008/4/10 23:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved