Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 162

Paul E. Gallagher, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Upper Radiator hose for a 288
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill
See User information
Does anyone know what number the upper hose is used on the radiator ? I am slowly driving my local parts guy crazy? I see in the cross reference it is mentioned a 20957 but thats for newer models.Any help would be great.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 16:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Upper Radiator hose for a 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I use flex hoses instead of molded hoses, due to their versatility. I looked up Dayco radiator hoses, and they have part numbers for the different lengths they carry. Just figure out what length you feel will fit best, and remember that the diameter you will need is 1 3/4" inch. Just take that part number to your local auto parts store, and they should have it. Here is the link to their site:
http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycoweb.nsf/cf652a4feb630ad0862571a4005ae40c/5c1666239323616d862571aa00578217!OpenDocument

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/4/2 17:07
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You just need one with a good 90 degree bend in it, and you and then trim to fit making a "L" I found one at my local Autozone.

All 51-54 use the same size and style of hoses regardless of the engine.

The flex hoses put strain on the radiator neck IMHO.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 17:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill
See User information
Tried one of the flex hoses I didn't like the way it worked.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 17:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Found the post in my project blog on this subject. This has the Goodyear P/N I used and shows it installed:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=14840#forumpost14840

Posted on: 2012/4/2 17:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I really dislike the flex-hoses. They create turbulent flow and hence are restrictive; they do as BigKev says put undue strain on the radiator gooseneck, and besides that their appearance just conveys a poor message. If you find the correct ones from the various Packard vendors too pricey, just rattling around an autoparts store until you find a current hose from which you can cut a section that has the proper profile & diameter will make a better looking and performing job.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Get yourself a NAPA 7694. It has the correct bend. The legs are extra long, and if you cut them off carefully you will have enough to plumb both ends of the transmission cooler. Or, if you have stick, use a 7438 for the lower.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 20:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved