Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Generator polarity??
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
We were on the subject of generator polarity in class today, and it got me thinking... The previous owner changed my car to negative ground, and said they had the gen and starter rebuilt. The car seems to run fine, but as long as I've owned it I've suffered bad voltage loss. Usually I have to charge the battery every other day that it is driven. The more I drive, the more often it dies. I was told that the generator polarity needs to be changed when the (+) to (-) ground swap is made. When i test my gen, how will I know if it was done? Will it just not work if the polarity is wrong?

Posted on: 2012/4/18 22:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator polarity??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sounds like the beast isn't charging at all--that's why the more you drive the sooner its dead. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and you should get 6.8 to 7.2 volts at high idle.

Generators do need to be polarized when anything is changed. If your car is negative ground and you want to keep it that way, then take a jumper lead from the positive post of the battery and touch it briefly to the armature post on the generator (the one with the thicker wire).

If that's the real problem, you should now be good to go as the electrons will now march in the right direction when the engine is running.

If still no charge, look very carefully at what is stamped on the flanges of your voltage regulator. If it says 6 pos or 6P you will need to run positive ground or it will not be happy if it isn't ruined already.

Here's the easiest test in the world to see if the generator itself is OK: Take off the fanbelt. With one jumper ground the field terminal (small wire)to anything convenient. With another jumper now apply battery to the armature terminal. The generator should now run smoothly as an electric motor. If it won't then it needs to be serviced.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 5:17
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Ahhhh! So these are positive ground? is the 49?

Posted on: 2012/4/24 0:25
1949 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

seizure66 wrote:
Ahhhh! So these are positive ground? is the 49?

Yes,it is. Up until 1954 for 6 volt systems and 1955 for 12 volt.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 1:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
thought it may be, my 48 ford was.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 1:23
1949 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Somewhere around here I have an old reference, but I can't find it. I found my ancient picture of the late Earl Heath without his costume quality toupee and the Greta Garbo Duesenberg.

Anyway from memory it's something like this:

All 6 volt cars positive ground except:

Buick
Chevrolet
1937 Cadillac and LaSalle only
K series Lincoln, Linclon Continental (Lincoln Zephyr is positive ground)
Oldsmobile
Willys

If I ever find it I will audit this list.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 16:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I thought ALL GM cars were negative ground??
For sure Cadillac was from 49 up. Pontiac also.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
So, I tried testing the gen today in school.... It puts out zero power, and failed the motoring test. So now I am in the search for another gen!! Am I correct in assuming that any Delco 6v genny will work? My shop teacher's dad as a pretty big collection of old parts, specifically 40s era Chevy stuff. He has a sweet '41 Chevy coupe that's still 6v, and has a 216 all hopped up with period parts like an Edmunds 2x2 intake and Fenton split exhaust....

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just because it doesn't have any output doesn't mean you replace it. Determine what's wrong with it - chances are it can be returned to service easily.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not just any. You're going to want one with sufficient amps out and to match your regulator. 45amp generator is listed for 52. Some earlier and other make cars using Delcos are as low as 25-30amps. Have you looked into what it would take to be repaired. Unless you have a large selection of known good ones to choose from for free, it might be more cost effective to have yours repaired.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved