Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
36 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 34

Keith51, curpack, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 200 Business Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
So, I'm treading out of my usual waters here! How rare was the 200 Business Coupe in 1951? Was it available with a manual transmission? Looking at the owners manual, it only mentions the ultramatic, but then it talks about using the overdrive on the next page, which implies that a manual transmission was also available.

How rare is this car? How rare would it be to find it with a manual?

I'm not really in the market yet, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice driver 51-53 Packard, but I'd really like to find a 2 door with a manual and overdrive. Is that unobtainable?

I say 51-53 because I like the looks, and they are pretty reasonable. Doesn't HAVE to be a two door, but I thought it would be more fun.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 14:53
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 200 Business Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the 51 business coupe is uncommon, and it was a one-year only offering, discontinued after 1951. It was the bottom-of-the-line, least expensive and most spartan Packard available so not exactly the vehicle to attract the clientele that Packard wanted. Probably most sales went to slightly upscale traveling salesmen who wanted something with a bit more comfort and performance than a Plymouth. As such, it was pretty much of a basic vehicle and standard transmission was standard equipment (Ultramatic was only standard in the "400" or Patrician), though OD was an extra cost. As the folks who bought them were looking for very inexpensive transportation, I wouldn't be surprised that manual shift was more popular than Ultramatic.

A couple of years ago there was a very nice article published in The Packard Club's The Packard Cormorant on one of these, some very good photos of the interior, etc. Perhaps you'd like to get a back issue.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 15:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ken,

I was going to refer you to Doc gonzo's '51 200 Business Coupe which is currently for sale, but see it's Ultramatic equipped. Also see you in Doc's Project Blog so most likely aware that it is for sale.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 15:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Mal, thought about it, but I'm looking for a driver that I can just polish up. There is one for sale on the Reno Craigslist but the ad is over a month old, and I don't have anyone who could pick it up for me until about February.

Posted on: 2012/5/26 16:19
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved