Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 82

humanpotatohybrid, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Door latch spring for 32 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I have a broken latch spring for my 32 Packard. I got 3 different springs send to me. None of them is an exact fit. How important is getting the correct size of the spring or is close good enough?

Attach file:

jpg  (91.28 KB)
793_4fd90797376a3.jpg 1280X989 px

Posted on: 2012/6/13 16:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Door latch spring for 32 Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How close is close enough? If you want the latch to work correctly, it's got to be the same or very close to it. The position of the inner retained tab with regard to the free end needs to match quite closely. I had one fail on my 34 Eight two years ago, front right door (I believe w/o checking that there are several different spring windings dependent on which door.) My latches were made by English & Mersick and these springs are rather easily found at the larger flea markets in my area like Rhinebeck NY where I got mine. Vendor had a compartmented box with dozens of different ones. I might have a few extras but yours does appear to be for a different door. Which door is yours from? Are your latches also English & Mersick? I will take a look at my extras over the weekend and compare to your picture.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.69 KB)
177_4fd9120da4ef6.jpg 650X781 px

Posted on: 2012/6/13 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Mine are from a 32 coupe roadster 903.

Posted on: 2012/6/13 18:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I understand that yours are from a 1932, but if your latches are English & Mersick chances are the springs are the same, Packard used the same latch maker for more than a decade. Here's a sample of some that I have, see if any match yours, if not I probably have some more. Remember to also flip the images for comparison, the top two for example are the same spring, just flipped over.

If you see a match close enough that you want to try it, just send me a PM with your mailing address.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.72 KB)
177_4fd9265a066d5.jpg 1159X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/6/13 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
The one one the right, second for the top looks like a perfect fit. Using an Ipad screen,I scaled your pictures with my fingers I was able to overlay mine on top that one. And the overall length looked correct. BTW, touch screens get confused when you lay metal on top of them. LOL

Posted on: 2012/6/13 22:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rec'd and responded to your PM. Will have the spring in the mail to you by next Monday at the latest.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Many thnaks for your effort and kindness.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 23:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (42.92 KB)
1584_4fdc6bfed18d5.jpg 1043X482 px

Posted on: 2012/6/16 6:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Dave,

I received the spring today. It's pretty close but it's not an exact match. I was going to try and use it, The upper tang is slightly longer. Do you think it will work?

Attach file:

jpg  (29.81 KB)
793_4fdfea2748e13.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

Thanks. If you notice mine has only two loops of the spring while these have three.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved