Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 49

kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tail Light Wiring
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I have a loose wire in my tailight. I can shove it back into the connector and it works fine, but I know that is not a permanent fix. I would like to fix it correctly, it does not appear that it is a crimp type connection. I expect that it should be soldered into place somehow. Any suggetions? Picture Below.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.40 KB)
4619_4fddd3762a917.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/6/17 7:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Tail Light Wiring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Even if it were originally crimped, I'd clean the mating surfaces and solder the connection.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 8:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
AGREED - you cannot duplicate the factory crimping, but soldering is a permanent fix.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
From the photo, it looks like all the wiring needs attention. The sockets can be removed for easier soldering/repair.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
46 Clipper - you have my sympathy. I am struggling with the wiring on my 47 even after new wiring from a good restoration shop.

I lost power to my stop lights somewhere under the dash and have now lost my blinkers in the process of tracking connections.

Following is a question for the experts and the experienced:
My restorer re-used all of the original connectors and they are giving me fits. The old ones appear to be bakelite or somthing similar, and are designed for blade-type wiring fittings that just push in. Problem is, they don't stay pushed in and seem to come loose pretty easily.
What's the approach for permanent and reliable fix? Seems like I lose connections while trying to trace connections to find and fix something else and it is a losing battle.

Is it just a matter of replacing all of the connectors with modern, generic plastic blade connectors or are there reliable, authentic looking replacements for the female ends? Thanks.
Mark

Posted on: 2012/6/17 17:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The old ones appear to be bakelite or somthing similar, and are designed for blade-type wiring fittings that just push in. Problem is, they don't stay pushed in and seem to come loose pretty easily.

Those connectors are a P.I.A. Believe they are called Wade connectors and old ones are troublesome. Either you can't get the wire out at all or they fall out as yours are doing. The metal pieces inside the bakelite also oxidize and then you have poor connections. Packard even had a bulletin suggesting getting rid of them on OD harnesses because they caused intermittent problems.

You can't use anything modern with them that would fit or work any better because of size and construction. You can buy the wire ends and the single connectors from both RI Wiring or Y&Z's. Expensive though at $4 a connector and .45 a terminal end. Haven't found any place that has the double connectors we use so many of so that's a problem.

I don't know of anything modern in a flat tab type terminal that has the doubles either. RI Wiring does sell 1 into 2 and 2 into 2 bullet connectors which might be a possibility -- but would mean changing both sides.

These work by the protruding dots on the connector locking into the wire terminal end thru that hole. Here is a photo of what is inside the bakelite. The flat side of copper pieces face each other with the bent over ends straddling a ridge cast into the bakelite which keeps them in place. The inset view of the terminal flat is what the connector business side looks like. If the bumps on the flat side have become worn and rounded, then they can't lock onto the hole so terminal pulls out. If you can get them out without destroying the bakelite it might be possible to bend the back side out so they are a bit tighter on the terminal end.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.65 KB)
209_4fde6e5a4c6b5.jpg 640X457 px

Posted on: 2012/6/17 18:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Well Howard, I hate your answer but it is a good one, as expected. You are exactly right about the two basic problems: loose fit and corrosion, both of which are major PIA's. Good to know for future work. Seems like these connectors couldn't be that hard to replicate and improve and would be a good regional project for the Packard Club and perhaps an opportunity for Mr. Kanter.

Thanks Howard
Mark

Posted on: 2012/6/17 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Many of the wiring harness sources in the Packard yellow pages may sell the parts you need. I had contacted Nagasarrett and they have a rear lighting harness for my '48 for around $25 that includes the pins for the bulb sockets.

I haven't bought it yet, but plan to eventually.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 22:23
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom
See User information
I had a thought. I had to fix the rear defroster on my Tahoe because the tab broke off the window. I found an electrically conductive epoxy that fixed it. I am wondering if this might be an easy option to keep these pesky tail light wires in place.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.48 KB)
4619_4fdf3739bed70.jpg 141X219 px

Posted on: 2012/6/18 9:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved