Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Torsion Leveling Problem on '56 Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
I got a replacement solenoid from Napa Auto Parts (the one suggested in the other post linked in this thread - NAPA #ST56). I installed it (see attached photo). I had to put the good solenoid on the bottom so the new one would fit. Now, when I turn on the under dash I/O switch the new solenoid clicks after seven seconds and the car's back end does not lift.

A side issue is that the car will not start. I thought the battery was drained, but i put a battery charger on, overnight, and the charger says the batter is fully charged. However, the car will not start; the engine does not turn over.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I also tried installing the new solenoid upside down (from that in the picture), but I got no power registering at the solenoid's small terminal; so, I assume I have the new solenoid installed correctly. The solenoid's terminal indicated with "Bat" is connected to the positive battery feed.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.73 KB)
1656_51788aabc75c4.jpg 539X719 px

Posted on: 2013/4/24 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I do not know the V8 cars, but maybe it's the neutral safety switch keeping the car from turning over?

Posted on: 2013/4/24 20:58
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
look for a blown fuse

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:09
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if you have a pushbutton trans make sure the P or N button is firmly depressed so the start safety relay is energized. The starter wires are two brown ones. They go to either the column shift safety switch on the steering column near the firewall on engine side or the safety relay. That relay is a 3 terminal black one at the top rear edge of the group of PB relays & nearest the TL solenoids.

As to the no lift, if the solenoid clicks at least it is getting a command. One question before going any farther that should have been asked earlier is if the problem is a recent failure or did you recently acquire the car and the system didn't work when you got it.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
No blown fuse. This is a recent failure. I've had the car for 5 years. I did have to replace the solenoids two years ago because of the same situation, and I had no issue; just replaced the solenoids and and the car leveled out just fine.

The car does not have a push button transmission/drive selector; it has a column shift selector.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
" and the charger says the batter is fully charged."

Let me guess, the battery is 5 years old too. What the chargers say or other e-diagnostics devices are meaningless.

TRy a KNOW TO BE GOOD battery.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I really think you need to refer to the diagram Randy posted yesterday and verify where the transverse bars are before we go much farther. Use a mirror or jack the side up far enough to see the drivers side bar and make sure it is correct. If the solenoid shorted or limit switch failed then the motor would have kept running and the bars could have switched sides. That has happened on a couple of cars and they were sitting tail end down also. If bars did switch, the normal operations go out the window and we could do some damage trying to bypass things to get it level by jumping solenoids.

One other thing on the non start. Assuming the wires are connected and it is in park or neutral, use your voltmeter and check the brown wires to ground to make sure there is 12v present while someone tries to start. One of the nasty problems with V8 ign switches is they take the full current of the start solenoid and pick the nastiest times for the start contact in the switch to fail.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
The batter is less than two years old, but that's a great suggestion. Off to Les Schwabe I go. However, I wouldn't think the TL systems needs a fully charged battery to run the electric motor, but then that may explain why i'm only hearing the solenoid click and the TL motor not moving.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
Quote:
I really think you need to refer to the diagram Randy posted yesterday and verify where the transverse bars are before we go much farther. Use a mirror or jack the side up far enough to see the drivers side bar and make sure it is correct. If the solenoid shorted or limit switch failed then the motor would have kept running and the bars could have switched sides. That has happened on a couple of cars and they were sitting tail end down also. If bars did switch, the normal operations go out the window and we could do some damage trying to bypass things to get it level by jumping solenoids.

If the bars did switch, then what do I do to correct them?

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Because the engine will not crank and the TL motor does not work that makes for a battery problem or a problem very near the battery such as cables or wires. No point in trying anything until a battery that is KNOWN to be a GOOD battery is used and good cable connexions. Could be a bad ground cable to engine or engine to cowl ground wire.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 21:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved