Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Patrick, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: What are the most common problems for 120's?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
From my experience, the most common cause of failure is the last mechanic to work on the car before your purchase. In particular, various fixes that were tried to "compensate" for the 6V electrical system.

If you end up with starting problems, charging problems, electrical shorts or other electrical gremlins, look for these fixes and try to return the system to original condition.

The one thing, electrically, that I would change is the negative battery cable. I always upgrade these to 00.

Other fixes that can cause problems are electric fuel pumps. If plumbed and wired properly, the can be great. A lot of the ones I have seen are not so correctly installed.

As far as touring supplies, I would add a roll of duct tape, a roll of electrical tape, a gallon of reverse osmosis water, and some zip ties.

Oh, and a spare, charged 6V optima (or similar gel cell) battery. This is great for giving yourself a jump. These types of batteries are small and relatively light.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2014/7/20 19:30
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The last mechanic, that's a good one. I was a victim of the last mechanic yesterday. At 55-60 mph on the interstate my steering wheel started shaking hard and my front wheel came off in the middle of the highway! Luckily nobody got hurt, I got the 5000 lbs Packard off the road safely. My wheel was in the middle of I-40 and was still in good shape till a semi ran over it before I was able to get it off the road. Tire slashed, rim slightly bend, hubcap flat as a pancake. 4 lugnuts were in the middle of the road with 30 feet of another. Damage under the car looks minor but I haven't taken stuff apart yet.

What lesson did I learn? Check your lugnuts after you buy a car!

Posted on: 2014/7/20 20:53
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You are so lucky not to have been hurt, hurt someone else, or damaged another vehicle. Most fortunate outcome given how bad it could have been. Checking lug nuts and bolts, a good lesson for all of us. Glad you are okay, and hope the damage to the Packrd was minor.

(o{]o)

Posted on: 2014/7/20 21:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved