Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: I'm now a Packard owner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
HH56 I agree about the desirability of the 54s. I like that they are the last model with the straight eight, a Packard trademark for many years. And I think they have the nicest style of the postwar cars. The Patrician is the cream of the sedan models. A Caribbean or prewar Packard would be nice, but you could add a couple of zeros to the price. All in all the 54 Patrician or possibly a Sport Coupe make an awfully nice driver.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Gearstart shift quadrant on column is 6 positions and will have a dot between N and D. It will have a fill tube coming up from below mounted to firewall near the starter motor.

The regular Ultra has no fill tube in engine compt and has a 5 position quadrant with an H instead of a D.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I don't think mine has the dot, possibly just as well as I hear the older version is more reliable?

Posted on: 2016/10/28 19:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The regular Ultra has a pretty good reputation for reliability -- but do keep the manual L to H shifts to a minimum or at least let your foot off the gas while it happens. The 54s did have better timing in an effort to prevent the bands and clutches from both being engaged or free at the same time but there was still no real synchronization between the shifts.

The Gearstart was the means for a synchronized shift. I won't say the 54 Gearstart is unreliable but rather unrefined. Behind the lower torque and HP of the straight 8 I think it would probably fare well. It did have some early valving design that could have stood a bit more work but was in such short production that I don't know if there were enough units released to get a fair appraisal..

The 55 Twin Ultra was essentially the same unit with similar valving. Where that trans got the reputation for being so unreliable was being put behind an engine with considerably more torque and horsepower. A V8 almost invites a lead foot whereas a straight 8 might tend to promote a bit more leisurely approach. The valving in the unit would allow low to release before high would engage and also, unlike the regular Ultra, allowed a shift from converter high all the way down to low at almost 70 mph. With clutches slipping in the process due to the high HP engine, IMO, that is a failure waiting to happen.

By 56 with the mechanics still essentially the same but valving considerably refined it was a much better and reliable unit.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 19:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My Pat was built late in 56 but has regular ultra, not gearstart.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.94 KB)
23_5813ed63a6d34.jpg 1185X305 px

Posted on: 2016/10/28 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Does anyone know if original upholstery material is available?

Posted on: 2016/10/28 19:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My Pat was built late in 56 but has regular ultra, not gearstart.

I was under the impression the regular Ultras were discontinued when the gearstarts and twin Ultras started production. Does the Patrician have a special 5 position quadrant made for the 56 dash?

Posted on: 2016/10/28 19:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
Does anyone know if original upholstery material is available?

SMS will be the best place to check. I believe they will custom make the fabric if they don't have some but as I understand it, it is expensive and takes considerable time. I don't know if there is a minimum quantity order but Randy might know. I believe he had some made.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 19:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Beautiful Packard! Congratulations on your Packard ownership!
When I was in High School (many years ago!) a beautiful girl in my class drove a 1954 Packard two door hardtop, it was cream with red top.
Always enjoyed that combo!
She oversteered turning into a street and hit a fire hydrant one fall day.
I helped her and her Dad procure replacement parts. Needed a bumper, grille, and left front fender and assorted smaller bits.
She was soon back on the road, tooling around town in the Packard.
Always think about her and her Packard when I drive by her house to this day.
Good luck with your new Packard and hope you can find appropriate center caps for those Caddy wire wheels.

Posted on: 2016/10/29 9:00
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good luck with your new Packard and hope you can find appropriate center caps for those Caddy wire wheels

Kanter has some caps that fit the original style wires and maybe fits the Cad repros Fred mentioned that he used to carry. Those might fit your Cad wires. If he can't help, here is another place to start the search.https://www.wheelvintiques.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=packard I seem to recall seeing them at other vendor sites too.

Posted on: 2016/10/29 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved