Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1939 Packard Six with Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

jwblazek wrote:
Thanks Don

The car will be at the Morgan Hill Xmas parade on December 2nd, or if you are in MH are a drop me a line.

Was under the car last night, found the adjustment. Unfortunately, not much left to adjust. Took it to the max and pedal free play is 3" now instead of 4.5". SO, will drop the transmission I guess to replace the clutch plate and pressure plate

There appears to be a second adjustment , a rod parallel to the adjustment rod. Didn't have the car up on the lift, so couldn't see the adjustment end. Fig 51 n the shop manual illustrates this, but they show the adjustment on the inboard nut, which I think is in error. Anyone know?

You may also want to check for worn linkage and other parts before replacing the clutch.

I believe the adjustment on the inboard nut you mention is for how much "boost" the over center spring provides.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/12/1 11:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard Six with Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks JWL

For certain the bushings, many now rotted rubber, are worn. I have been turning new ones from Nylon. Seems Packard knew this was an issue and replaced them with steel? Anyone know of a source for these bushings? When I'm under there, I may just mic them and the rods and see if McMaster or equiv has a bronze or delrin bushing available

Posted on: 2017/12/1 14:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved