Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: sticking valves?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
im not to worried about the gasket job but what ill find inside!do u recommend I do exhaust and intake and side covers at the same time?they seem ok

Posted on: 2018/2/15 7:35
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
ok..after head gasket,intake and exhaust gaskets I still have skipping at idle..new wires plugs cap rotor..the only thing I have found as far as vaccum leak goes is this...im getting vaccum leak under the cover of the carb where the accelerator pump is...whats the fix for that?can I just seal the cover or does the carb need new gaskets,,the car runs good at speed..stumbles cold for a bit...any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Posted on: 2018/3/6 13:29
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
For prevention once you're ok, remember that when our cars were new and late model, part of a comprehensive tune up was to check cylinder head torque, in sequence, with an accurate torque wrench, engine warm (if iron head, cold if aluminum head). Do not over-torque. On our L-heads, typically 62 ft. lbs. Manifold nut and bolt torque was also checked, and again, just snug per shop manual, do not overdo.
Off topic but another bit of oft overlooked preventive maintenance, is to poke the end of a straightened paper clip, etc. in the breather on our differentials. Just make sure the wee hole is clear. (Remove the paper clip or wire.)
If overdrive transmission, remember to fill them separately.
Turn your distributor grease cup every 1,000 miles, making sure its filled with a good quality grease. Following Zen and the Art of Packard Maintenance, i give mine half a turn every 500 miles, but then our hellacious traffic provides times to commune with our wheeled alter egos out here in Kaleeforyuh, and perhaps where many of you dwell.
If our cars sit for a spell, some of us also rock them up and down to work the front shocks.

Posted on: 2018/3/6 16:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan kimbro
See User information
Thanks...head was torqued according to manual...different vent was done while servicing all the holes...this was pertain to the last vac leak I can find which is under the front cover of carb...thanks again

Posted on: 2018/3/6 17:19
1949 deluxe 8
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved