Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: burned up ammeter 1941 160 coupe
Just popping in
Just popping in

JimRosenthal
See User information
I wanted to post an update on the burned up ammeter problem on my '41 Super Eight 160 coupe. We found a replacement ammeter at Max Merritt's and also a replacement front clear panel for the instrument cluster. We also replaced the burned cable and took the ammeter out of the circuit. (still haven't got it out yet, it is waiting until week after this one) The car runs fine with the cable replaced.

I had the replacement ammeter, which needed to be rebuilt anyway, rewired as a voltmeter. It will look the same, but it will indicate if the generator is charging, not the amps that the car's electrical system is drawing. I think that is safer.

The car is entered for the St Michael's Concours this fall, if I can get time off from work to attend it. Thanks to all for the help and advice and I will post again when we have had it all out of the dash and figured out what shorted the ammeter.

Posted on: 2019/7/28 15:40
 Top  Print   

Re: burned up ammeter 1941 160 coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad to hear the progress. I'm wondering if you understand how to interpret ammeter readings. It does not just show what the car is drawing, it shows the net of draw versus charge. So (+) readings indicate that the charging system is providing more than the car's systems are drawing, the positive balance going to storage in the battery. A (-) reading indicates you are consuming more than the charging system is replenishing, resulting in a draw from the storage battery. A constant (-) reading would be indicative of a failure of the charging system.

IMO a voltmeter would be less informative than an ammeter, the ammeter tells you quite precisely at every moment if the net current flow is either TO or FROM the storage battery.

Posted on: 2019/7/28 15:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved