Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Ultramatic Parts Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Absolutely, I've been spending the last two weeks basically rebuilding a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe for a friend of mine for free. When I mentioned that I was going to buy a Lincoln IRS here in the next few weeks and put it in the Speedster, he didn't even hesitate to offer his help.

THAT'S the kind of friends to have!

Posted on: 2010/11/2 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Wow, my hat is off to both of you!! I keep getting distracted by The History Channel and stuff!! It may come to pass that I HAVE to be more daring and focused. I think to work on the car will help me understand how it works and not be so concerned that it might break down when I am driving it. I haven't had the car long enough to have confidence yet.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
What is the speedster?? Is it a Packard??

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Most of it is, I've kinda went "underground" with it's development lately, but I'll hopefully be resuming the blog in the future. This car's caused me a lot of heartache, and I almost scrapped it a couple of months ago, but I've decided to go ahead and finish it like I had planned.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Sounds like, if not you then who?? I for one am glad that one more car is saved. In whatever form!

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Start here for more info:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=738&forum=10

Pay no attention the the last couple of posts of mine, it's back on track and hopefully will live up to it's 160mph theoretical top speed...

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Very cool car.... and here all I want mine to do is roll!!! Haaaaaa!!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I want mine to roll too, it's been sitting without a rear end for over a year, it's time to get back on it.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 21:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Thanks for you nice comments on our Ultramatic Kits. Due to the reliability of the 55-56 units, I propose we change the name to Ul-traumatic.

A few notes here: The early 23rd series Ultramatics did not have replaceable bushings in the clutch drum etc. They were thin bronze bushings an you had to replace the entire part or bore the part to receive the later thick babbitt/steel or bronze/steel bushings. You will not find any reference to this in the parts books and I've never seen it in the Service Counselor. Packard did not offer the thin bushings and neither do we.

Our kits contain the normal wearing parts such as offerred in the transmission industry for doing Ford/Chev/GM etc. We have all the other parts too.

Historical note: Packard was the first with the "lock-up" converter/Direct Drive. When the oil crisis hit in the 70's, Ford bought a '54 Packard to study it and created their version to achieve better mileage. Again, Packard led the way. A famous name is connected with the refinement of the Ultramatic, John Delorean who worked on East Grand Blvd.

Keep your Packard ALL Packard, not Torqueflites please!

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/9 1:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Due to the reliability of the 55-56 units, I propose we change the name to Ul-traumatic.

Hmm, I had a '56 Patrician with a '55 Ultra in it that sat in a field for 40 years and worked just fine after doing nothing but adding a converter seal and B&M TrickShift trans fluid. I drove it as a daily driver for over two years with no issues from it at all. But I didn't drive it like a hot rodder either. I wouldn't hesitate to own another V8 Packard with an Ultramatic in it at all. I happen to love the old un-loved thing.

Posted on: 2010/11/9 1:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved