Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1955 700R4 conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did Bendtsen happen to mention which model 700R4 or which cars use the trans the adapter is designed around? There seem to be different bellhousing and tailshaft configurations for various GM offerings.

And the big one is still what about the cars with PB setups. Don't recall hearing any definitive word. It should be possible to make a new finger assy to match the GM pattern if the shaft rotation or travel distance is roughly the same but would take some engineering work.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 14:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
Question 1.
I did not care what trans went into our 400 as long as I do not have problems. To date it has been great!
It would be best to talk to Bob himself. Mine was a turnkey deal w/a 5 yr warranty. The 700R4 was rebuilt by his shop and I purchased this as part of the whole deal.
Question 2.
Bob indicated it would be no problem to make the PB work in our 5699 w/ a 700R4, 460 or 480 trans. Quite frankly, I believe he can do this with no problem.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 20:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
Email Bob. He can rebuild the ultramatic or put in a modern 4 speed trans. Either way, you would have something you can rely on.
After # 3 ultramatic in the 400, I called it quits.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
smith Quote:
After # 3 ultramatic in the 400, I called it quits.

You're not too much of a glutton for punishment, are you? LOL!

Kidding aside, I'm glad you found a reliable solution. Too many 55-56 V-8 Packards were parked because the T-U gave up.

I've been "lucky" with my 55 T-U in my Pat. A old experienced Packard mechanic rebuilt it before I bought it 13 years ago. He apparently knew what he was doing and upgraded the 55 T-U to 56 parts. I haven't had any significant problems with it.

In my 56 Panther (nee Clipper), I'm installing a manual 4-speed (T-10 and yes, I have the parts).

Craig

Posted on: 2012/10/22 20:57
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
In answerering me (e-mail) he noted that a wide variety of these transmissions would work. I noticed that some are four speed with OD, hence my thinking....

Posted on: 2012/10/22 22:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Well Im preparing to take the plunge-sometime on thurday Im going to call Bendtsen's and order the transmission + conversion kit for my 1955 400. A friend of mine who is a retired mechanic will help me put it in my car. I can't wait ill finally be able to drive it. As I recount all the Ultra's my car has toasted through the years:2006-2009-2013, I must say the best one I ever had was the original tranny that lasted 51 years till it blew up in the summer of 2006 ( I bought the car in 2003) I even put 1200 miles on that tranny in the 2005 trip to Boston with no problems. I never recieved more than 3 years of service out of subsequent rebuilt twin-Ultramatics, and had one self-destruct after 3months in one case. I dont blame the rebuilders either-no one wants to see a car come back to the shop after busting thier hump on it; I just think this unit is a bear to rebuild ( as ive had more than one automatic transmission repairmen tell me) and if its not rebuilt 100% correct it is unreliable. I plant to start the project the first week in august and ill inform you guys how it goes.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 1:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
WauhopM:

I do not know just how long the Twin Ultramatic in my car has been running. I know it was rebuilt not that long before I bought it in June 2012. I do know that it is the weakest link in an otherwise strong running car. The only times of the year it seems to work OK are spring and fall. In winter it clunks from gear to gear and in summer, when it's hot, well ... I don't really trust it for any real distance beacause of its propensity to overheat and stay stuck in either first or second gear. Since there is no overdrive, it feels like I am really pushing the car when I am only driving 65 mph. Right now, with it being so hot outside, I do not feel good about driving it anywhere, despite checking the fluid level every time I start it.

It seems a shame that in order to get a Twin Ultramatic to work right every time an owner must be "lucky" enough to know an experienced Packard mechanic. I think for anyone who wants to drive their '55 confidently, then it seems that conversion to the 700R4 or another transmission might be the best course of action, as long as you can maintain the P-N-D1-D2-L-R shifting configuration.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 8:23
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I've never had an issue with my modern 4L60E shift configuration. Frankly, its easy given it is the same as our everyday drivers. For originality the selector is preserved and I just shift as necessary. No one knows but me.....any maybe everyone in the world reading this thread.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 8:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe I read the fellow that developed that 4L60E conversion died. If that's correct, did anyone carry on with the project?

Posted on: 2013/7/17 9:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Well I visted Ross before my last Ultra gave up the ghost he pointed out that my rear main seal was leaking pretty good. I suppose since the old Ultra will come out to be replaced now is the best time to address the rear main seal-does anyone have any advice in this respect? Also since the pan will be dropped I plan on ordering the Packard V8 club's Oldmobile pump and adapter kit. So hopefully all the weak points of the car will be eliminated and the next work the car sees is:NEW PAINT and re-upholstered front seat and carpets

Posted on: 2013/7/27 0:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved