Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 164

29tons, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 33 »

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician Rebuild Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Back to Kind of bad. When messing with the T/L, I did notice that the rear load arm appeared to be cocked and not true in the bracket. Of course after getting unloaded and broke loose, still can not get the Load Bar to tap out of the arms. I have destroyed two 1" brass drifts and even rounded a steel bar beating on those things. Hate to say it but might have to cut yet.

Took a break from the T/L and began taking the Control arms apart so I can put them in an Electrolysis tank I build for de-rusting. In doing so, the bushings were defiantly shot and the inner sleeve was almost worn through. The right side is so out of whack, the top control pin is actually bent (a little hard to see in the pic). Front and Rear shocks frozen, upper and lower control arm shafts frozen, could not rotate with a steel bar. Took awhile but finally got them broken loose then taken apart. Had to Carefully cut the old bushing out rusted solid to the control arm and the shaft rusted to the inner spacer.

I went back to the frame and really looked at the T/L bars and they themselves have quite a bend in them and hit the top of the frame in the front frame hole, and the rear is hitting the bottom. If you step back, you can see the bow in the bar.

Attach file:

jpg  (133.38 KB)
17226_53b887b91f5fc.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (146.93 KB)
17226_53b887cc7c59d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/5 18:18
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
That car must have been in a lake or something for awhile. I think you'd be money ahead to buy that black one, even though you've done heroic work on this car. Strictly economics.

Posted on: 2014/7/5 20:50
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
The challenge has been thrown down, This is no longer a Rebuild Project, this is a Mission!!!!

Posted on: 2014/7/6 8:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Contact PackardSouthWest through this site.
He has torsion bars on Ebay right now that say Local Pick Up only but he has posted here numerous times that he can ship his parts to us with no problem.
He may have some out-riggers too. I recall not long ago you stated how much fun it was when you were fabricating parts so you might be able to repair the out-riggers that you have.

The really, really hard part is getting past the fact that your Patrician is not going to get back on the road as soon as you hope (Like me and my 400). I don't attend many car shows during the summer because it makes me sick with envy.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 9:18
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Thanx Stewart, I actually already use Gerry at Southwest. Gerry has good serviceable parts at very reasonable prices.

It is frustrating that I wont have it on the road in the time frame I had planned, I was hopping to use it in my Daughters Wedding next June but, their is also a thrill that I will take this basket case 100% apart and reassemble from the ground up.

Historically speaking, it is a thrill the last time the car was in its current form was when it was on the line.

This is defiantly a labor of love.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
More fun in the sun. due to the excessive damages I am finding, I am going to proceed with a complete disassembly and inspection instead of repairing in sections as I go.

The rear end should have aprox .006-.010 backlash in the rear yoke, Well, I have 1/3 rotation of back lash, cant wait to get into that one and see if it is a shim job or re-gearing. Based on how things have gone, I am betting on the re-gearing.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Regarding the rear load arms - these can be difficult to remove from the torsion bars.

I have done this for 2 different cars and for the first one did it with the units in place by making up a fairly heavy 2 piece bracket to mount in front of the load arm and using a gear puller to apply force to the end of the torsion bar inside the load arm. This took a long time and a lot of soaking with penetrant. Finally had to use heat to get them to to break loose. Did try using a drift and hammer on these first before the puller but with no luck.

On the second set, the torsion bar and load arm assemblies were removed from the frame of a parts car by cutting the rear mounting brackets. I then used a 12 ton shop press to separate the load arms from the torsion bars.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Three days of soaking, heating, beating, soaking, heating, beating, soaking, heating, beating, I think I am about to the point of cutting the torsion bar, it has not budged a millimeter. I am afraid I will loose the temper in the bar if I keep heating the arm. On a side note, the bearing in the load arm is rusted solid..... I have a feeling I will have to cut and then have a date with a 20 ton press.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 20:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Had no choice but to cut the torsion bar.

As you can see it is rusted solid and will take a large press to break it free. After soaking overnight, I finally got the needle bearing to break free.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.36 KB)
17226_53bc3be7dbd70.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/7/8 13:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That car had to have been sitting for a loooooooong time in some very damp conditions for that kind of rust. Hopefully you have one already lined up or else Mike D. can set you up with a new bar.

Posted on: 2014/7/8 14:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved