Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 202

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: The A/C works!
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From memmory:
1992 R12 ceased availability to general public. By late 90's very difficult to get and expensive. Most likely since it was installed late 90's it is R134a unless who ever did the actual charging had a surplus of R12 laying around.

As for R134 fittings i have ran into two different types (low side), very subtle difference. All R134a adapter fittings i have seen have Loc-TIte type substance in the threads when new from parts store shelf. REMOVE the Loc-TIte substance. IT is usually red. OTherwise if the OEM service port shrader valve goes bad (they DO!!) the adapter will be difficult to remove and have to be cut off.

Also some R134a adapter fittings do not fit good and the shrader in the R134A adapter has to be adjusted to meet the OEM R12 shrader valve depth correctly. Otherwise it will hang the oem R12 valve open OR not open it all during charging. It is VERY sensitive.

I won;t go into much more detail on this. Your car - your resources expended. But make NO permanant changes such as permanant adatper installation that can not be easily reversed or cause adjustemnt difficulties.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 19:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RE: very slow cool down time when parked in parking lot:

THe Ranko valve for the heater is probably not closing all the way. Splice a common houshold plumbing valve into the heater hose. That will insure the coolant is not passing to the heater core.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 19:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Since u have a sight glass then ignore my previous comment about needing the gauges. However, gauges mite give a better clue as to whether currently the car has R12 or R134a. But that determination is strictly academic anyway. Would be nice to know however.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Coming back to the 56, got a call today frpm a friend who thinks the thermostat is stuck oen and that is causing overheating.

Is this even possible?

Or are we being visited by beings from other planets again?

Posted on: 2013/5/19 16:46
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
If it was stuck open it would never warm up. You must mean stuck closed

Posted on: 2013/5/19 18:14
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Just got another call and realized that he has had a very liquid filled afternoon. Still, he's happy.....tonight....

Posted on: 2013/5/19 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
THERMOSTAT!

Clean bill of health for pump and radiator.

Per our club tech expert, I installed A 160 degree thermostat.

Is this bit of information something that belongs in the X=ref listing?

Anyhow, car runs delightfully cool and well, a/c works fine so I'm cool and comfy, which to me is a good thing!

Posted on: 2013/5/23 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ok. Glad u have the problem solved with a new 160 T'stat. BUT, what temerature rating did the previous T-stat have that CAUSED the problem to begin with????? Or what was wrong with the previous T'stat that caused the problem??????

Posted on: 2013/5/23 7:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
It died and went into rigor mortis closed. It was a 180, which is probably what the book calls for. Our local tech guy has a 56 and is an airline mechanic who is very good technically; he insisted on a 160 so a 160 it is. No problem finding one, and a spare, in stock locally....

Today it is chilly, but we logged twenty miles or so, filling the tank at a mere $4.47@ at Costco; $4.75 and higher elsewhere...

Waiting for a hot day to check it out. One issue left; drain lines are kinked so over flow goes on floor. That will be fixed soon.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 14:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved